Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Sears

Chris    630

If and when the time comes that the Sears at the Mall gets the axe, some of the employees will have no one to blame but themselves. 

I stopped over last week to buy a new weed whacker. The guy working in that department was busy with another couple, so I busied myself with comparing the different models and deciding which one I might be interested in. Having waited my turn, I figured he'd be available to ring me up. 

Wrong. 

He took off to some other department, stopping to chat with a couple guys standing around in the tool department. Then he went off to another aisle where, I don't know what he was doing, but he wasn't doing much as he was telling his co-workers about other things he'd sold earlier in the day. I know this because I could hear it as I took the box over to the other register to pay. 

I'd only waited a couple minutes, but the girl at the register asked someone to come over and take care of me. He did, and he was nice enough, but I couldn't help but wonder why so many people were just standing around or the person in the lawn department would just up and leave with a customer standing there. 

Not a big deal in the grand scheme, a slight annoyance really. But between incidents like this and then even the most mundane parts like drive belts for mowers now being "special order", requiring several days to arrive, it's no wonder places like Sears are struggling. 

Hal    162

Really that dept has been that way for twenty years or so . Used to have a repair shop just inside the entrance at pick up then moved it all across the road above the Mall then moved it back with limited stock to the store . Ridiculous to have to order a common belt size in the mowing season or blades as well . But Lowe’s carries belts for Craftsman and other Sears stuff , I haven’t been in Sears in years . And yes they have carried dead weight for too long storewide . I worked part time in the warehouse pickup section in the early 90s , the store manager back then was a whip cracker but if we got swamped like at Christmas he was right there with us filling orders and loading customers cars . My how times change ! 

Chris    630

Honest to God, at this point I HOPE Sears goes out of business. 

I went to replace something on our Kenmore grill, and as I was cleaning the grease tray completely disintegrated. So I went to order one online. I got through the steps, and find the part, order it, and a message on the screen says it'll be delivered by AUGUST 20th!

That can't be right, so I looked on Ebay and Amazon first, just in case. No luck. I tried calling Sears to see if that's for real. Waited forever, said "screw it" and hung up. Tried the online chat, you know, the little pop up that keeps getting in your way when you're trying to order something? Yeah, that'll be a 20 minute wait. 

Screw it, I'll order and hope it arrives sooner. Put payment information in, go to check out, and "Oops, sorry, we can't get that part for you. Sorry for any inconvenience."

So a grill, less than 10 years old, and I can get ALL the other parts, just not that one?

Go to hell. I'll find a piece of sheet metal somewhere instead. 

Hal    162

That store is BARE  , spriest they aren’t closed by now ! 

Hal    162

What’s the measurement . I have a stainless steel pan here or is it cake pan size like 9 x13 ? 

Chris    630

I'll have to measure tomorrow. I put one of Abbys cookie tins in there and it's the perfect length bit comes up about 3 inches short. 

I found the bottom pan of an old rabbit cage but trying to cut through that could be rough.

Hal    162

Bring it up , I have electric tin snips ... make short work of it ! 

Chris    630

Gotta love Sears. 

Technician arrives, he looks at the model number, starts going through his bins. 

"I don't seem to have the right belt."

I told him I figured that would be the case, so have one of Hal's mowers for back up. He's punching numbers in his computer and realizes this happened before. So I told him that I even called back to the 800 number to tell them to make sure he had the right belt, for that very reason. 

He checked over the pulleys, and as it turns out there's one thats screwed up and needs to be replaced so he would have had to come back anyhow. So no harm, no could I guess, other than the usual crappy job on the operator's end. 

To his credit, he gave me some used blades from replacement jobs he's done. They're in pretty nice shape, just need to be run over the grinder. 

Mary    111

I haven't shopped at Sears in almost 15 years. When I was pregnant for my first son, I went there to buy a crib. Had to put it on special order, and waited, and waited, and waited. With 7 weeks to go before my due date, I checked in on the status. Come to find out, the mode had been discontinued, and nobody told me....even though it was paid for. I threw holy hell and got a floor model. 

Same thing happened with a toolbox- $300 model, I wanted to purchase. It was like pulling teeth.

I tried two other times to take advantage of an advertisement, showed up at the store the minute they opened and was told they didn't have the item. Why advertise it if you don't have a single piece of inventory?

Rain Man movie said it best- KMart sucks- and so does Sears

• Like 1

Chris    630

Kudos to Tracy, the technician who made his second trip here today, arriving at 8am. 

He went the extra mile once again, making a couple other unexpected repairs to replace some worn parts. 

They need more people like him. 

Chris    630

If, in 20 years, someone were to ask "What happened to Sears and other big box stores?" today would serve as "Exhibit A".

I just happened to be up there to meet some friends for lunch and decided to see about getting some thermal underwear. There was one register open, and she was dealing with a return that was going through a credit card machine. So you know that wasn't going swimmingly. After standing there a while with somewhere to be, I said "screw it", and left empty handed. 

I understand it doesn't make financial sense to have all the registers manned when it's not busy. But it seems to me there should be someone working the floor, tidying up stock, and at least be available for when someone at a register gets bogged down like today. Then people can buy product, making the company money. Not filing bankruptcy. 

Spiff    48
19 hours ago, Chris said:

If, in 20 years, someone were to ask "What happened to Sears and other big box stores?" today would serve as "Exhibit A".

I just happened to be up there to meet some friends for lunch and decided to see about getting some thermal underwear. There was one register open, and she was dealing with a return that was going through a credit card machine. So you know that wasn't going swimmingly. After standing there a while with somewhere to be, I said "screw it", and left empty handed. 

I understand it doesn't make financial sense to have all the registers manned when it's not busy. But it seems to me there should be someone working the floor, tidying up stock, and at least be available for when someone at a register gets bogged down like today. Then people can buy product, making the company money. Not filing bankruptcy. 

Sounds like they adopted the K-mart method of 1 register open. We see how well that worked out for them!

• Like 2