Sign in to follow this  
Hal

Working the Bees

Johnny Go    167

Also, just got the tracking number for the EasyVap.  I should have it for treatments on Sunday.  It should make this go a lot faster.

• Like 1

Hal    218

Love it when a new toy is on the way , watching the tracking is like watching for Santa  LOL 😂. Yep brothers hive is a stroke of luck , fixed a couple errors for him and he is all set , it was actually amazing to see . I am anxious to see how your boards come out , last Beekeepers meeting when asked about the results of the Varrox I told them , most on one board was 12 ... them “ on one square inch “ ? Me , “ no on the whole board “ ... smirks and sidelong glances ensued , as did my response ! Needless to say they got an earful on the attitude and then we had a good discussion from there , If I want snark I’ll go on FB !! But I still will not do a wash period ! I agree on not selling at wholesale and below , guess we will put more out on the egg fridge and try that again . I did not try any splits as it got to late in the season and ole chicken shite here was , well , Chicken shite LOL ! 

Results on your boards and your new Vaporizer please ?! 

Hal    218

Oh yeah ... Meade , shout to Mark on this site ! He and buddy Jim are experts ( according to my tastebuds ) . Just had , notice Had , a bottle of Bilbomel and last fall was Rudomel and some Jack Daniels infused mead ... these guy know thier stuff and are happy to help others make Mead ! 

Johnny Go    167

I checked the bottom boards on all my hives and found nary a mite on any of them.  It could be the brood break they all had due to swarming is actually effective at controlling mites.  They are all still going to be on the receiving end of my new EasyVap come Sunday.  :)

I have one of those removable tray IPM boards under one of the hives.  I rarely keep the tray in it, now I remember why, it was full of water.  Not good for the health of the hive to have that much moisture.

Hal    218

Yay , the new toy arrived ... sic em JG ! I only use those IPM-boards when treating ,  then  only for 24 hrs when temps are high . Yeah  , they do collect moisture or used to before I elevated the rear of the hive 3/4 “ , not too bad now . Doing another oxalic treatment this afternoon so we can compare notes after you put you new Easy Vap to work ! Oh and Harbor Freght has a parking lot sale coming up ... this weekend I think ! 

Johnny Go    167

Just finished my second round of treatments. It took me 45 minutes from the time I started gathering the equipment I read completely done with putting everything away. 

With my wand this would have been closer to three hours.  

Hal    218

Excellent ! Time is everything when sweating your butt off in a suit ... assuming your wearing a suit . Sticky boards in for the count ? I treated yesterday checked the boards about 2  hours ago averaged 5 per board ... question , do those buggers crawl off the boards ? Because my boards are not sticky . I sprayed Pam on them once and noticed no difference after 3 treatments . Anyway good to see your new tool came in and is easier and faster for you ! Oh yeah , Harbor Frieght has some nice goggles and respirators , just sayin ‘ LOL !  

Johnny Go    167

I wore my full suit, mainly for the protection from the vapors. I did minimal interactions with the hives, either pulled supers or slid boats under them. I also had to place cloth to seal the entrances. A bit of smoke was enough to keep them calm.

I dropped the hood while doing the actual treatments so I could wear the respirator. All of this work is from the back of the hive so no issues. 

I've wondered about that myself, I don't think they crawl off out get eaten by something else, when I have had big drops those buggers were dead. I think low drops just mean more healthy hives. 

Hal    218

I’ll be anxious to hear your mite count ! I really need to figure an easier way to treat during flows ... those boxes are getting heavy fast this year LOL . The working from the back of the hive sounds a little less ... intense let’s say . After pulling the boards I stuck around ( gotta get a chair out there ) to watch the girls and see what color pollen is being brought in . By the colors and what is blossoming right now I see grayish ( guessing  field corn ) and pretty yellow ( no brainer here right ? Goldenrod ) at least up here in B-town . Reassuring to hear the mites are pretty much dead  hitting the board . I want to go into Winter as healthy as possible , yes , it’s time for me to start obsessing on that , wait ... aren’t All beekeepers obsessed ? Okay , keep me updated JG ! 

PS selling honey around here seems to be getting like selling Ice to Eskimo’s ... 

• Like 1

Johnny Go    167

Still nothing has dropped.

We had a bear cruise through the neighborhood.  He dragged off a couple of boxes which had crystallized honey from last fall.  I left them out for the bees to clean up, so the frames were pretty much empty,  Looks like it tore off some comb, but no damage at all.  The funny thing is it walked right by 6 boxes filled with honey I pulled last week.  Contrary to popular opinion, and Winnie, I don't think bears really care for honey.  When they have hit my hives they eat all of the brood and mostly leave the honey alone.  Paleo diets?

Hal    218

Nuttin huh ? The bear that hit my hives ate only the brood , licked two frames clean as can be ! 

Chris    951

I checked "my hive" this afternoon. They're gone. 

Part of me wonders if the honey is still there in that tree though. 

Hal    218

Not really worth the trouble , lots of work unless it’s close to the ground or easily retrieved . Even then ... 

Chris    951

You watch, of all the trees that get blown over around here, that one will outlast me. 

Hal    218

LOL ... if they have moved on you would probably not find a whole lot anyway . Still it would have been cool to get a look at it . 

Hal    218

One “ scout bee “ finds a tree full of drawn comb and voila another bee tree ... right ?

Chris    951

The bees are working overtime this weekend I'm thinking. It's like this on both sides of the road. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.02.11 PM.png

Hal    218

We pulled about 60 lbs of dark today . I didn’t want to leave them on after this weekend for two reasons , too much goldenrod and it’s too strong and I like a good mix of knotweed and goldenrod which I believe we got . After this weekend the goldenrod and knotweed will be on the downhill side of the run and we get into the Asters which Adam tells me crystallizes faster . Numbers of bee’s were higher than I’ve ever had and I’m laying that up to having done treatments ( Thanks JG) at proper intervals with two more courses of treatment to go . Now time to get things ready for Winter ... but that’s another post ! 

9068F999-2C56-42FB-9599-499DDA75EBFB.jpeg

F744465B-F110-4018-A5A6-99FC84452C6D.jpeg

Edited by Hal