Chris

Gardening Thread 2018

Chris    910

I wasn't sure if I was going to get it done, but I got the garden mostly planted.

I say "mostly" because I plan to stagger the green bean plantings a couple weeks apart so we don't have more than we can use at any given time. 

I planted some of last year's Yukon gold potatoes, a couple zucchini, only a couple cucumber ( the poultry ate more than we did last year ) and pumpkins. Then threw some sunflowers in there for the wife. 

What's your garden plans this year?

Linda Roorda    46
9 hours ago, Chris said:

I wasn't sure if I was going to get it done, but I got the garden mostly planted... What's your garden plans this year?

Good job Chris!!  Hard to admit, but it's been over 30 yrs since I last planted a humungous garden to can and freeze a year's worth of benefits when our kids were little and Ed was farming... and then I had to return to work full time. I enjoy the puttering/relaxing in several perennial flower gardens now, but in two the grass and a gazillion baby maples are taking over faster than I can find time... Maybe some day when I retire I'll return to the veggie garden. In the meantime, enjoy the "fruits" of your labors, Chris!!

Chris    910

Best thing I ever did was decide to go with raised beds. The soil is much easier to manage and as is weeding.

Admittedly though, I didn't plant as much this year figuring I'd be busy getting some other stuff done around here and taking into consideration the fact that a lot of what I grew last year didn't get eaten or was given away. 

KReed    415

Seems like we've had a lot of waste and/or blights the last few years as well....so that curbs the motivation.

This year, the hubby got me (tomato, basil, peppers and oregano) seeds for my birthday, so started those in March. Not a single pepper sprouted, the a little tiny bit of oregano, basil looks pretty good and 40+ tomato plants.

The basil and oregano are in the patio herb garden with some garlic added. Unfortunately, the tomatoes were slow starters and still very small. We'll see how they do, but I bought a few at the garden store that were bigger just in case. Also added a few cucumbers and jalepenos. 

Lastly, we're giving peppermint a try in a few places around the foundation to see if they deter pests as the old wives claim. 

Chris    910

I don't think I've ever monkeys with herb seeds. The started plants are often cheap enough I just get them. 

Speaking if which, Abby came home with a bunch of plants from Lowe's yesterday, so we planted them. More things to mow around!

Hal    213

So far I have one half of the raised beds cleared of weeds ... slacker , right ? Got busy with the new bees and new orchard then some rather unpleasant buisness came about so I got behind on the gardening . I’m trying to decide where to plant the sunflower seeds I bought last year maybe in part of the raised beds . Plans for just two grape tomato plants some rutabagas one zuke maybe , I’ll be expecting prices to drop on plants this week so we’ll see . Happy gardening ! 

KReed    415
1 hour ago, Chris said:

I don't think I've ever monkeys with herb seeds. The started plants are often cheap enough I just get them. 

Agreed. The scrawny results after 8 weeks aren't worth the tending and finding room near a window for them. They didn't get full sun in that time, as I didn't have space or motivation to move them from window to window. Not much reason to go to the trouble when fuller, bigger ones are available everywhere now for cheap.

Not something I plan to bother with again (I wouldn't have this year if they hadn't been a gift).

Hal    213

“ Lastly, we're giving peppermint a try in a few places around the foundation to see if they deter pests as the old wives claim. “

KReed , I actually think this works . I use peppermint oil under our barn and chicken coop floors and in the storage shed where I keep the smaller machines . The mice used to make nests like crazy in the motors , few drops of peppermint oil on the motors put a stop to that problem . So I can see the benefit of planting it around the house . 

Chris    910

Looks like stuff is popping up already, just waiting to see what the spuds do. 

I'm still seeing some "volunteer" cherry tomatoe plants popping up. I think I'll transplant them to a pot for the hell of it. 

Hal    213

Your way ahead of me ... I’ll get going this week ! 

Chris    910

I had to replant a few things, and put another row of beans in. Taters are coming up nicely, I wasn't sure another out how they'd do. 

I have a doe who not only likes the jewel weed in the hedgerow but my apple trees as well. Some repellent spray should take care of that. The way shes hanging around I have a feeling there is a fawn nearby.

Hal    213

I finally got everything in the beds and corn the garden , better late than never . Haskins came through with broccoli as promised , eggplant ... but only four this year and just two grape tomato plants . Had to have the grape tomatoes as I have ( after 64 years ) come to enjoy them , not the big ones , yuck still ! One big help has been Brother having a kubota with a tiller attachment , a bucket to recharge the beds with compost and an auger to use on my tractor to plant the new trees . 

Chris    910

One should not sweat Juat watering the garden. Whew!

Everything is doing well. I have to plant some more green beans still. Also have a fresh batch of compost to hill the spuds with. 

It was time for the annual sprinking of Sevin dust. I hate to use pesticides but hate even more to watch the garden get eaten up before my eyes. 

KReed    415

The basil and oregano are in the patio herb garden with some garlic added. Unfortunately, the tomatoes were slow starters and still very small. We'll see how they do, but I bought a few at the garden store that were bigger just in case. Also added a few cucumbers and jalepenos. 

In the herb box: The basil has been doing great and we've started to pinch a little off here and there already - great with a little olive oil & fresh mozzarella! The garlic is doing well - the oregano didn't make it.

In the raised garden: The jalapeno and cucumbers are looking good and all but one of the tomato plants I purchased (that the dog tried to mangle) are starting to show fruit.

The big surprise is the tiny (3-4") tomato seedlings that I was sure wouldn't make it. As scrawny and fragile as they were, I planted them pretty close together as I really didn't think 30% would survive, and those that did wouldn't get very big.

I was wrong. They are thriving. They've almost caught up to the plants I bought (that were 3 or 4 times their size 5 weeks ago), with some blossoms starting!

Now I'm worried that they'll smother each other. 

KReed    415

I'd guess the skills are still there, even after not using them for a couple of decades.

The supplies and the time? Damn, I'm not sure that's in the cards.

• Like 1

Chris    910

Last year I hilled the potatoes mostly by adding a couple layers of straw as needed. It worked well enough, but this year I had some good compost cooked down so I hauled 3 wheelbarrows worth over and did it that way. Everything is going like gangbusters, should be getting beans and nukes soon. 

I added another row of beans for late summer fare. Not sure I'll have enough time to grow another once the oldest row is picked over. I may try, just to find out. 

• Like 1

Mark    144

Pulled garlic today.  Nice crop compared to last year.  Had fresh garlic/butter on our steaks tonite.  Yummy!

Blueberries and raspberries almost ready.

Zucchini is flowering right now, but the leaves are small this year.  We shall see ...

Hal    213

I’m keeping a close eye on the broccoli in the raised beds , need to catch it before it bolts . Grape tomatoes are going strong setting fruit . Big garden other than pumpkins and squash plants is a bust , but that’s to be expected when you cheap out and use old bean and corn seed ! Lots of wild berries this year isn’t there ? 

Chris    910

The wild (feral?) raspberries are coming in here, yummy as always. Blueberries going full tilt. I got a good bowl full yesterday and there's lots more ready for the picking. 

beekeeper    5

I am having my old pool filled with dirt.  My dream was to have bee hives around the pool where the old cement sidewalk is...I will plant fruit trees, assorted flowering things for my bees and a row of three sisters next Spring.  I am hoping with the fence around the pool, the deer won't eat everything.  The guy is coming next week to fill the pool.  Is it took late this year to plant some vegetables?  If not, what can I plant?

• Like 1

Hal    213

Wow , sounds like a nice plan but , gotta ask , not planning on putting hives directly On the concrete are you ... just asking of course . And plenty of cold weather crops to put in , root crops , broccoli etc ..  And Welcome to the site ! 

Hal    213
11 hours ago, Chris said:

The wild (feral?) raspberries are coming in here, yummy as always. Blueberries going full tilt. I got a good bowl full yesterday and there's lots more ready for the picking. 

The black berries coming in out in the hedgerow make me want to make up a batch of blackberry Ale ... thoughts ? 

Chris    910
Just now, Hal said:

The black berries coming in out in the hedgerow make me want to make up a batch of blackberry Ale ... thoughts ? 

I would definitely be interested in what that would taste like. We can gather them from down here as well, just have to beat the bears and birds to them.