Mark

Phone Scams

Mark    144

Well this week's hottest phone scam seems to be the "Your Apple iCloud account was hacked" scam.  I've received several calls this week from a recording named "Molly" warning me that my iCloud account has been hacked.  Was was directed to "press 1" to speak to a representative.  Not letting the fact that I don't even have an iCloud account deter me, I figured I would see what they are up to.  Caller was a male with a very thick foreign accent, I'm guessing Pakistani.  Asked him where he was calling from and he said Cupertino, CA.  Asked him why my caller ID said Maryland and he said they have offices all over but insisted he was still calling from Cupertino.  Silly rabbit.  So next he insists on helping me straighten out my iCloud account.  "This is bad" I tell him.  "I'm really worried about someone trying to steal my shit!" I exclaimed.  He tells me to calm down and he will fix it.  So he and I go through a whole series of instructions on how to log into the set up screens on my non-existent Apple device and make a bunch of changes, obviously so he could gain remote access of my fake Apple world.  Finally I got bored and asked him if he had seen the news.  He said "No" and I told him that my President Donald Trump just came on TV and announced that he was going to start bombing the caller's third world shit-hole country back to the stone age, and that the caller better quickly go find a secure rock to crawl under.  The guy goes off on me and starts swearing up a storm, so I hung up on him.

BTW, the guy already new my name, phone number, address and email address.  Maybe I'll get a visit from this scumbag.  Go ahead, make my day ...

• Haha 2

Hal    213

Been getting calls from Medicare ( Medicare doesn’t call ) this caller has info on me protected by HIPPA laws ! Carl has a strong East Indian accent as well as the last two callers in as many days . Wifey did some checking calls are routed through White Plains NY so I’m wondering if these are someone from the cell in Hancock . Funny stuff Mark ... when you piss em off they just redial a couple times so ya know you got to them . I’ll have to try the bomb thing though ! 

Edited by Chris

KarenK    75

My new BFF is Rachel wanting to help me get my $250,000 business loan finalized.  lol.  I don't have  business. Thank God.

I actually can buy into the fact that the caller ID reads one place even if they are calling from somewhere else.  I work in a call center where we are international virtual.  Occasionally I call Dave from my work phone & it says I am calling from all over the US.  Just depends what line my phone links into at the time

Hal    213

We are getting numerous calls every day from ( refraining from using the H word ) folks of East Indian descent ( Carl , and Walter as they call themselves )  that know  my whole past and current health information that supposedly is protected by HIPPA Laws , what a joke ! So to that end I have ordered a couple of canned air horns ! 

Edited by Hal

Mark    144

I used to use the canned air horns all the time. I'd get calls with salesmen looking to speak to the owner.  I'd say "You mean Mr Horn?"  And they would say "Yeah, if he is the owner".  Then I'd tell them I would transfer them.  After making a clicking noise, I'd blast the caller with the horn, then every time he tried to talk I'd give him another little toot.  Was fun until I kept getting calls from the same place with everyone asking to speak to Mr Horn.  Seems like a good way to set up your colleague, just have him call my number and ASK to speak to Mr Horn.  After about the fifth call, the horn died a miserable death.

Maybe time to re-hire Mr Horn to deal with these endless Google calls I keep getting.

Mark    144
1 hour ago, KarenK said:

My new BFF is Rachel wanting to help me get my $250,000 business loan finalized.  lol.  I don't have  business. Thank God.

I get a similar call from a guy named Tim all the time.  His call never rings on the phone, just goes straight to email so there's no caller ID.  I guess they can do that now.  He says "Hi, this is Tim again.  Sorry I missed you.  Still trying to get a hold of you regarding the $250,000 line of credit we have approved for you.  Call me back on the number that shows up on your Caller ID."

Ummm, Tim, you can't even operate a proper scam ...

Mark    144

Got a couple of Google calls yesterday.  Finally had enough.  Decided it was time to bring Mr Horn out of retirement.  So I push one to speak to a live operator and get "Clarence".  He starts his spiel and I interrupt him.  Conversation goes as follows:

Me:  Clarence, do your realize that you just robo-called a private cellphone number.

Him:  Well this number is the number of record we have for the company and I'd like to speak to the owner about your "free" Google listing.

Me:  Clarence, I'm actually in the middle of a class action suit right now against another company who kept robo-calling my private cellphone, and we are suing them for a shitload of money (true story).

Him: I don't care about that sir.  I just want to speak to the owner.  Are you the owner?

Me:  Sounds like you are daring me to sue you for a shit-ton of money too?

Him: Oh no sir, I just want to make sure your Google listing is up to date.  We will keep calling you until I get the information from your owner.  Are you the business owner?

Me:  No Clarence, we have a new owner here.  His name is Mr. Horn.  Would you like to speak to Mr. Horn? (As Clint Eastwood would say, "Go ahead, make my day")

Him:  Oh yes, please!  (Clarence just made my day)

Me:  Clarence, I must warn you that Mr. Horn is NOT in a good mood today.

Him: That's no problem, I'm sure he'll want to hear what I have to offer your company.

Me:  Okay, hold on while I switch you over (makes beeping noises with phone keyboard) ... (slight pause, for dramatic effect) ... Okay, Clarence, I have Mr. Horn on the phone for you.

Him: Thank you!

Now I have to say, Mr. Horn was working very well today.  Sometimes all I get is just a little bleat out of the can of compressed air, but today it was very loud, and very sustained.  I could hear my wife laughing three rooms away.  I could also hear Clarence shouting out of my phone as I held it up to the air horn.

From Google's web site:

Robocall scams are automated phone calls using recorded messages that may ask you to press a button to speak to a sales rep. Google doesn’t make these calls, so if it's not a real person right from the start (and you didn’t request an automated call from us), it's not Google.

Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous individuals and companies who make these calls, even though they are breaking the law. Sometimes, robocalls falsely claim to be working “with Google” or “for Google” in an attempt to sell different schemes and online marketing services to unsuspecting individuals and companies.

These types of robocalls calls are illegal under U.S. law (unless you have given permission to receive them), and Google is never behind them.

• Haha 1

Spiff    75

Me:  Clarence, I'm actually in the middle of a class action suit right now against another company who kept robo-calling my private cellphone, and we are suing them for a shitload of money (true story).

Very funny!! I to am involved in a class action against a company for constant robo calling my cell phone.

Hal    213

xD , I am so laughing my ass off right now ... thanks Mark !! 

KReed    415

I have police-type whistle for this purpose that I’d set aside and hadn’t used in a while. Thanks to Mark’s post, I thought to grab it yesterday when I got the call that my computer is at risk!

On 5/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, Mark said:

These types of robocalls calls are illegal under U.S. law (unless you have given permission to receive them), and Google is never behind them.

Yeah...it's a shame this isn't enforced. Pretty sure the technology exists to track and block this stuff.

Mark    144

So I get a call yesterday, some Indian-accent guy wants to speak to the person that handles the electric bills.  I casually tell him that that would be Mr. Horn.

"Oh.  Could I please speak to Mr. Horn?", the fellow asks.  (That makes me smile every time, I don't know why.)

"Sure!  Let me see if I can track him down."  Apparently I left the newly acquired super duper sized Mr. Horn in the bedroom in the nightstand, you know, to startle burglars (and the neighbor's dog who likes to bark under my open bedroom window at 5 AM on summer mornings). Anyways,  I get to the bedroom and tell the fellow I'm switching him over the Mr. Horn.  For some reason I can hear him already starting to give his spiel even though Mr. Horn has not said "Hello" yet.

I grab the air horn and begin blasting my cell phone with it.  Holy crap that new horn IS LOUD!!!  Really, really friggin' LOUD!  Unfortunately, I failed to notice that my loyal cat Barnard was sleeping right there on the bed, but I did catch a glimpse of him as he went vertical.  So, I stop pressing the horn, and as I'm peeling the terrified cat off the ceiling, I can still hear screaming coming from the cell phone.  I'm guessing the Indian guy probably was wearing one of those hands-free headsets.

Yeah, that horn is too loud.  Went on Amazon today and ordered an old fashioned bicycle horn, the kind with the squeeze bulb on it.  Six bucks and never needs a refill.  Probably will sound more annoying than terrifying.  Hopefully it will be a bit easier on Barnard ...

• Haha 2

Hal    213

Okay Mark , I’m picturing all this in my mind and getting a good laugh 😆! So , now with the new horn , every time they start to speak I know your going to give them a little horn . 

KReed    415

A police type whistle works too - when I can remember to keep it near the phone.

Mark    144
3 hours ago, Hal said:

Okay Mark , I’m picturing all this in my mind and getting a good laugh 😆! So , now with the new horn , every time they start to speak I know your going to give them a little horn . 

That is my plan, although I'm considering staying on the line so I can interpret for Mr Horn as he gives his little toots.  Wish there was someway to record these encounters ...

Hal    213
1 hour ago, Mark said:

That is my plan, although I'm considering staying on the line so I can interpret for Mr Horn as he gives his little toots.  Wish there was someway to record these encounters ...

Recording the hijinks would be hilarious ! Be it KReeds whistle or Mr. Toot ... 

Edited by Hal

Chris    910

Anyone else getting constant robo phone calls from "Apple" claiming your cloud account has been breached? We're getting several a day for days on end. 

Finally I've been pressing 1 to get a human, and introduce myself as, so far, Officer Rickard and Sargeant Mugadotz of the Baldwin Police Dept. 

Amazing how fast they hang up.

Short of hunting them down and killing them, it's the best entertainment I can think of at the moment. 

KReed    415

Yep...up to a dozen a day the last week or so. Another just five minutes ago.

I don't suppose identifying as a cop stops the next bot from calling, does it? It's frustrating and doesn't seem ;like any amount of annoying or discouraging the humans will slow down the robo-dialer.  It seems like if lawmakers were getting them at this frequency on their personal phones, they'd develop a "public interest" in finding ways to end the BS.

Chris    910

No, it apparently doesn't do any good. I just answered a third call as "Major Payne of the 10th Mountain Division". 

*Click*

I read online it's been going on for over a year. So no hope of anything being done. We'll probably unplug the phone for a few days. 

KarenK    75

They had a story about it on our local news the other day.  Glad I never plugged in the landline. At least I don't have to listen to the phone ring.  

KReed    415
On 5/25/2018 at 5:08 AM, KarenK said:

They had a story about it on our local news the other day.  Glad I never plugged in the landline. At least I don't have to listen to the phone ring.  

We only keep a landline for two reason:

1) His old-school parents resist the cell phone

2) My prepper paranoia from an family member that's a county Emergency Manager being told by Homeland Security that all EMS needs to retain landlines in anticipation of when (not "if") the electrical grid and wireless communication are attacked by terrorists.

On another note....My personal cell number has had calls from two (different) unrecognized numbers in the last week. Both left voicemails in some Asian language that I have no clue in translating....Hmmmmm. Did my Nigerian uncle relocate to Thailand?