Chris

Craft Beers

Chris    630

This will be an open discussion on craft beers, both local and those made elsewhere in the country. 

Chris    630

This past weekend I got to try a couple beers I hadn't had before. 

The first was "Lake Life IPA" from Grist Iron Brewing in Hector. Now, I'm generally not a fan of IPA's but this is the second one made locally that I enjoyed. It has that hoppy taste you'd expect without going overboard. There's a slight citrus finish to it, which I think helps. It's 6.69% ABV and 96 IBU ( which I only know because I Googled it ). It's a refreshing Summertime beer. 

The second was called "South Of The Border (SOB) Porter" from Wellsboro House Brewery in Wellsboro PA. This porter uses a medium roast coffee which you can taste a little bit but again, not over the top. It's a surprisingly lighter beer, and didn't give that "mealy" feeling/ aftertaste in my mouth I sometimes get with darker beers. It's 5.8% ABV

The third one I tried was a Guinness Blonde American Lager. I'm told part of the reason they began making an "American" lager is simply the demand for it. Why import when you can make your own? 

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.01.24 PM.png

It's a golden amber beer that is light, refreshing and a bit of citrus noted when you're taking a sip. I wasn't sure how to describe the "mouth feel" until I read their site and saw "biscuity". Yeah, that about describes it. Not something I'd run out and stock up on for the house ( not with so many options from Sam Adams ) but if I were out and this were available I'd have one. 5% ABV

Hal    162

That Blonde with the biscuit and citrus notes sounds like a winner to me . I’ll be wrangling in a bottle soon ! Got me a Wit Bier to get started here as soon as I finish what will be my very last wood working project . 

Mark    135

I tried the Blonde awhile back.  It tasted like a typical mass produced American beer to me.  Sure enough, brewed in Latrobe, PA (apparently the yeast comes from Dublin).  For mass-produced, give me a Yuengling or Sam Adams anyday.

Chris    630

No kidding, brewed in PA? Good grief...

I thought I was better than the average American lager myself, but then that's also like comparing it to watered down piss so... 

But yeah, I'll stick to Sam's seasonals. 

Hal    162

If I’m drinking mass produced it’s gotta be Blue Moon . Craft beers ... I’ll stick to my own thanks , if I may call home brews craft beer  . I put down an Irish Red a couple years ago , tweaked it with some biscuit malts . Good drinker especially with cheese and crackers , the biscuit came through nicely . I saved all my recipes so since I really enjoyed that one it will be my second batch this year . 

Mary    111

I like the Sam Adams seasonals.

A great place to go try a lot of craft beers is the Finger Lakes House. They have over 50 local craft beers on tap, offering flights and growler fills.

Flavor wise, I am a sucker for the blueberry beers.  I've been drinking a raspberry wheat lately that is decent.

My problem is I think I can drink them like it's a bottle of labatts, and I find that is not the case. 

Chris    630

Cold Snap is on tap at the lodge. That made me smile. 

By the way, the brewer at Wellsboro was apparently so happy I liked his porter, I was given this:

20180322_074720.jpg

Hal    162
1 hour ago, Chris said:

Cold Snap is on tap at the lodge. That made me smile. 

By the way, the brewer at Wellsboro was apparently so happy I liked his porter, I was given this:

20180322_074720.jpg

NICE ! 

Chris    630

I split the topic, there's now a new forum for all things home brewing, wine making, etc. 

Chris    630

We were at my brother in law's 40th birthday party he threw at Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse today. After asking what was on tap, the barkeep told me she had "Ape Hanger Ale" which is brewed exclusively for them by Middle Ages Brewing. I figured "when in Rome..." and got a pint. 

received_1950516451945877.jpeg

It was pretty good, a golden amber color, kind of light tasting. Reviews I just read online talk about a "malty" taste and and aroma which, yeah I can see. At the time, it reminded me of something and a family member said it smelled like honey. 

Good beer, went well with the Q. 

DSC_1537-ApeHangerTap.png

Chris    630

Not bad, for sure. I think the malty or honey, whatever, taste would be distracting on a long term basis. Bit against the spicier flavors of the food, it worked.

Hal    162

Just a question , did it tastes sweet on the lips and kinda stay there ( cloying ) or just taste sweet in your mouth and wash away ? Why I ask is that cloying on the lips would be honey , malts  ( extracts ) would give you a sweet mouth taste but not stick so much on the lips as honey would . Weird I know but Blue Moon Summer blend , my favorite , is brewed with honey and you just get a hint of it . 

Chris    630

Looks like one area brewery is closing down. 

Heavily Brewing Company is holding a "Last Call" event this weekend before they switch business models. As of June 1st they will be an event venue only, changing the name to  #FLX Barn Events at Heavily Brewing Company.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.54.59 PM.png

Too bad, it's a nice place and nice people. I think maybe just a little too far off the beaten path for many. 

Chris    630

I'm sitting here at my regular spot sucking down Horseheads Towpath Ale so the Blueberry will be tapped. 

I think I require assistance in this endeavor.

Hal    162

Sorry ... I can’t help ! Remember ,  I’m a one beer wonder 😆 

Mary    111

Liquid Shoes is opening on Market St this weekend, the brain child of Elmira natives Eric and Dave Shoemaker.

Chris    630

I stopped by Horseheads Brewing to pick up a few bottles of Blueberry Ale and their "Summer Daze" IPA, one of the very few IPA's I like. They didn't have any. 

I asked when they'd be bottling, and the fella said they wouldn't be. Just growler fills. 

Can't say I like that, since growlers take up fridge space and there's the risk of losing carbonation before you empty it. I have a gift card to use so I guess I'll stop back and fill a couple. Just stinks that there won't be any bottles to save for later. 

Johnny Go    44

Diversion Brewering in Chemung, one of the best in the area.  We love the beer and the atmosphere, feels like a private party, but one that will let me in.  :)

The wife loves the Pilsberry, I like most of the other types, the East Cost Roast is my favorite.

Saturdays they have live music and a food truck.

They also have "crowlers" from an on demand canning machine for those who are not a fan of growlers.

Edited by Johnny Go

Chris    630

I've heard good things about them as well, Johnny, and there's no good reason why I haven't taken a ride over there. I'll have to remedy that.