Rurlife.com

The Emotional Benefits Of Cooking

Rurlife.com    18

While any Southern grandma would probably scoff at the need for a study on the idea of cooking as therapy, because, of course, retreating to the kitchen to whip up fried chicken, collards, and corn bread is good for the soul, one study found that baking classes boosted confidence and increased concentration. Another study revealed that a little creativity and creation in the kitchen can make people happier. That study, published in the Journal of Positive Psychology, suggests that people who frequently take on small, creative projects like baking or cooking report feeling more relaxed and happier in their everyday lives. The researchers followed 658 people for about two weeks, and found that small, everyday projects in the kitchen made the group feel more enthusiastic about their pursuits the next day, food website Munchies reports.

Being creative for a little while each day made people feel like they were "flourishing"—a psychological term that describes the feeling of personal growth. "There is growing recognition in psychology research that creativity is associated with emotional functioning," Tamlin Conner, a psychologist with the University of Otago in New Zealand and lead author on the study told The Telegraph.

See the rest here.

What do you think? 

Chris    1,310

I believe it. A glass or two of an adult beverage while in the kitchen doesn't hurt, either. 

• Like 1

Ann    365

Just ask Hubby, my interest in cooking these last couple weeks is at zero.  
Chris, do you do take out?  :D

Hal    252
On 3/4/2020 at 9:44 AM, Chris said:

I believe it. A glass or two of an adult beverage while in the kitchen doesn't hurt, either. 

Like you , a little Scotch Highball and some tunes and stand by for some creative cooking ! 😎