ElmiraTelegram

The Coronavirus Discussion "Superthread"

KReed    592
Posted (edited)

Not sure if embedding this gif will work:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/LM97YWpnbTp85Du7aA" width="480" height="288" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/LM97YWpnbTp85Du7aA">via GIPHY</a></p>

giphy.gif

Edited by KReed
  • Like 3

Chris    1,310

Boy if that graphic doesn’t drive the point home I don’t know what will.

I see Canada pulled out of the Summer Olympics and now they’ve moved them to 2021

ElmiraTelegram    143

We all have to now confront that that is a new reality. That is not going to change. You are not going to turn on the news tomorrow morning and they are going to say surprise, surprise this is all now resolved in two weeks. That is not going to happen. So, deal with this reality. Understand the negative effect of this, which I have spoken to personally because these are personally negative effect. You do not feel them governmentally, you feel them personally. You feel then in your own life.

And don't underestimate the emotional trauma and don't underestimate the pain of isolation. It is real. This is not the human condition - not to be comforted, not to be close, to be afraid and you can't hug someone. Billy and Steve walked in today. I had not seen them in months. I can't shake their hands. I can't hug them. You know this is all unnatural. My daughter came up. I can't give her the embrace and the kiss that I want to give her. This is all unnatural and disorienting. And it is not you, it is everyone. It's the condition.

And we are going to have time. And the question is how do we use this time positively? Also, at the same time we have to learn from this experience because we were not ready to deal with this and other situations will happen. Other situations will happen and let's at least learn from this to be prepared for the next situation as dramatic as this one has been.

Also finding the silver lining, the positive. Life is going to be quieter for a matter of months. Everything will function. Life will function. Everything will normal operations, there won't be chaos. The stores will have groceries. Gas stations will have gasoline. There's no reason for extraordinary anxiety. But it is going to change. You won't be at work, you can't be sitting at restaurants, you're not going to be going to birthday parties, you don't have to go to business conferences on the weekends. There's less noise. You know what, that can be a good thing in some ways: You have more time. You have more flexibility. You can do some of those things that you haven't done, that you kept saying, "Well I'd love to be able to, I'd love to be able to." Well now you can. You have more time with family.

And yes, I get family in cramped quarters can be difficult, but it's also the most precious commodity. For myself, this young lady, Cara, is with me. She would never be here otherwise. You know, I'm dad, right? The last thing you want to be when you're in Cara's position is hang out with the old man and hang out with dad and hear bad dad jokes, you know - they'll come with the holidays, they'll come when I give them heavy guilt, but I'm now going to be with Cara literally for a few months. What a beautiful gift that is, right? I would have never had that chance. And that is precious, and then after this is over she's gone, she's flown the nest. She's going to go do her thing, but this crazy situation is crazy as it is, came with this beautiful gift. So one door closes, another door opens. Think about that.

And as I said, normal operations will continue. As I said from day one, the level of anxiety is not connected to facts, there is no chaos the net effect - many people will get the virus, but few will be truly endangered. Hold both of those facts in your hands: Many will get it, up to 80 percent may get it, but few are truly endangered and we know who they are. Realize the timeframe we're expecting, make peace with it and find a way to help each other through this situation because it's hard for everyone. And the goal for me: Socially distanced but spiritually connected. How do you achieve socially distanced but spiritually connected?

- Gov. Andrew Cuomo 3/23/20

Chris    1,310

Seriously, where is Dr Fauci?

Anyone else noticed that all the sudden they’ve done a fast 180 and now insisting this will only be a couple more weeks? And that since they’ve started that talking point Dr Fauci hasn’t been on tv like before?

KReed    592

I was just going to add that he's on now.

I thought it was a potshot when Trump was asked during the Town Hall if they were on the outs. Bloomberg news citing the NY Times as a source that they are feuding is umm….not something I’m taking to the bank.

I hope we do hear from Dr. Fauci again soon, but not being on camera for 2 days in a row is just as likely a result of trying to practice what he was preaching in the Science magazine interview. The Task Force membership is pushing his 10 person limit already – and press presence makes it worse.

There is no need to have at least 4 physicians plus Trump, Pence and at least one cabinet secretary at every public appearance (unless they’re the virtual press conferences Fauci has been pushing for).

Today Pence and Dr, Verma were absent at the ‘Town Hall’ as well as Fauci. Yesterday, the Surgeon General sat out the press briefing but Verma was there. Aside from an unnecessarily dense gathering of people….it is perfectly reasonable that each of them have plenty of studying and coordinating medical trials, etc and just can't drop everything twice a day for press coverage.

Chris    1,310

I have no doubts that Fauci and Trump are having issues behind the scenes. I’ve read a handful of books by former staffers. Yeah, I know, but even the ones that were complimentary say the president has a short attention span and little tolerance for people who contradict or challenge his ideas. 

Even in today’s briefing the President pushed the idea of being up and running by Easter while Fauci cautioned flexibility. And maybe I’m wrong, but body language spoke a lot this evening. So it’s not a stretch, at least to me, that Dr Fauci isn’t as favored, not as much “the guy” as before.

KReed    592

I hope, if there is 'disfavor', that Trump knows this is not the time to ask for a resignation.

After this is over? At 79, no one would blame Fauci if he was ready to retire.

In the mean time, I really feel like I can give Fauci enough credit that I think he communicates in such a way that Trump feels like he's sharing his expertise, and (with his 8th grade attention span) doesn't necessarily feel contradicted or directly challenged (other than hearing the press try to hammer that point home).

Chris    1,310

I meant contradicting him more in the press briefings when POTUS makes a definitive statement and Fauci later says, “We’ll...” Although I have no doubt the task force meetings are more interesting behind closed doors ( and not just between the two ).

KReed    592

So, a few news outlets are saying Trump used an article from a “conspiracy blog” as a source for the claim that Gov Cuomo had been advised in 2015 of the need for ventilators during a pandemic…and chose not to procure a sufficient amount for a severe pandemic.

Trump said there were 15,000 recommended.

Conspiracy blogs aside, I didn’t take time to find if there’s any reference recommending any particular number of ventilators in the 272 page NYS Task Force Report

But it does appear that Cuomo decided that procuring more wasn’t an effective option and instead allocating what we have was the preferred approach, from the accompanying FAQ

Q: Can the State stockpile as many ventilators as would be needed in a severe pandemic?

A: Even if New York State purchases additional ventilators, the demand would quickly outpace supply in a severe pandemic. No matter how many ventilators are available, in a severe pandemic there will be shortages because so many people will be sick at the same time. In addition, even with enough ventilators, a sufficient number of trained staff may not be available to operate them, particularly because health care workers will be among the ill.

Chris    1,310

I did see that during his virtual town hall, and he didn’t say what source he was citing. But he had a print out he handed Bill Hemmer and mentioned “death panels” as mentioned in the source. I had to rewind it and play it again. Then have Abby come in and listen to make sure I heard it right. 

I have no idea where he got that from, but it sounded like some real Alex Jones shit at the time.

KReed    592

I hadn't heard him say "death panels" **face palm**

I fully agree that it’s conspiratorial fear-mongering to call the “Ventilator Allocation Guidelines” he developed in 2015 ‘death panels’……it’s also insincere for Cuomo to put the opposite spin on it for dramatic effect:

"What am I going to do with 400 ventilators? When I need 30,000," Cuomo said. "You pick the 26,000 people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."

Having a task force draft guidelines like that was practical planning in expectation of any potential shortage in the future. No argument there.

On the other hand, to make an impassioned speech now....implying that there was no way to have ever anticipated that anything on a scale such as this could ever happen (while staging the speech in front of pallets of n95 masks), is disingenuous at best.

The fact is, he’d already put considerable deliberation into how to “pick” who is going to die.

Yes, he does sound much more compelling than and effective than POTUS.

Maybe the fact that his presentation is a thousand times better than Trump makes it harder to spot things that sound like wonderful, persuasive points from Cuomo’s presentations, but could probably use a little scrutinization.

His presentation has been calm and confident, but he's flip-flopped and wiggled on a few things.

Like uniform policies vs targeted needs.

*The week New Rochelle was hit he was clear that harder hit areas needed stricter policies than other areas (although his containment order really had no measure to ‘contain).

* The very next week, he complained that there wasn’t a uniform national plan and stressed that having different policies in different areas would only encourage people to move around more. So he was boldly and bravely organizing neighboring states to join him in making consistent policies.

His call to dedicate resources to hardest hit areas ‘first’ is also a little unsettling. Along with already floating the idea that hard hit areas in NYS could need to ‘export’ patients to hospitals not yet full in other parts of the state.

Sure it sounds good on the face that NYS (and NYC) will be overwhelmed sooner and need resources “first), and can then move those resources to areas that are struck with ‘next’ surge. But getting NYC’s leftovers only works if “spikes” across the county (or state) don’t overlap.

Italy, Spain and Iran each had their own peak…..but their curves overlap. Just because the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes well be reaching a surge separate from downstate doesn’t mean it won’t surge until after everyone in NYC has recovered.

Nor is it consistent with what his task force suggested:

Q: Can ventilators from one part of the State be transported to another part of the State that is particularly affected by the pandemic?

A: While outside the scope of the Guidelines, the Guidelines encourage hospitals within close geographic proximity to coordinate and plan transfer and loan agreements before a pandemic occurs. However, in a severe pandemic, it is likely that all regions of the State would be affected at some point. Thus, the Guidelines anticipate that ultimately there will be shortages of ventilators throughout the State.

Rusty14845    1
On 3/24/2020 at 9:42 PM, Chris said:

I did see that during his virtual town hall, and he didn’t say what source he was citing. But he had a print out he handed Bill Hemmer and mentioned “death panels” as mentioned in the source. I had to rewind it and play it again. Then have Abby come in and listen to make sure I heard it right. 

I have no idea where he got that from, but it sounded like some real Alex Jones shit at the time.

well what else would you call them ? 

who gets to decide who lives and dies and what about the familys ?

Chris    1,310

If you planned on driving through Rhode Island anytime soon, you may want to rethink that:

“Rhode Island's governor said Friday that law enforcement officers will stop cars and knock on doors in coastal communities to identify people who've been to New York state, joining other states in restricting the movements of out-of-state visitors to slow the spread of coronavirus.”

On the news they said police are on the look out for NY license plates and will pull them over.

KReed    592

I saw a report that Florida and Massachusetts are also setting up checkpoints.  Hopefully, in whatever states are considering this kind of thing, truckers will be exempt. 

This may very well be the biggest pandemic we’ve seen in a generation, and I don’t agree with some alarmists that are saying ‘martial law’ is going into effect. But there is no doubt that some freedoms are being restricted, and a few Constitutional Amendments are being stretched in various places

Chris    1,310

News is reporting 3 NYOD officers have died from Covid-19

The FEMA person on another site I frequent has finally offered some good news. He said if we fail to reach 160,000 cases today, they will be revising their numbers down. However they still expect the rate of deaths to continue to increase, but it’s looking like quarantine policies are having an impact.

However it was pointed out that testing needs to ramp up still. They can’t report on stats that don’t exist.

ElmiraTelegram    143

Governor Cuomo has extended school closures statewide to April 15th. More details to follow as they come available from local school districts. 

Chris    1,310

Sigh....I was hoping this was a hoax:

Joe Diffie, a consistent country-music hitmaker throughout the Nineties, died Sunday due to complications related to COVID-19. His publicist confirmed the death to Rolling Stone. Diffie was 61.

With a traditional-leaning voice that drew comparisons to George Jones, Diffie populated his records with honky-tonk ballads and lighthearted novelty tunes, earning the Oklahoma native five Number One singles in the first half of the Nineties. These began with his debut release, the deeply moving “Home,” followed by “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets),” “Third Rock From the Sun,” “Pickup Man,” and “Bigger Than the Beatles.” In all, Diffie charted 18 Top Ten singles, with the majority reaching the Top Five, including the 1993 radio staples “Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)” and “John Deere Green.”

The singer was famously name-checked, as were a number of his best-known songs, in Jason Aldean’s 2013 single “1994.” “There are plenty of singers in this town, but not many with a range like his,” Diffie’s fellow Opry star Vince Gill told People magazine in 1993.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/joe-diffie-country-singer-dead-obituary-974556/?fbclid=IwAR3xXfHtq0Vxt8yjoU2WqPLaHhopXAZfe5yrs8E6wbNK3PCqmBfP1PjidpY

Chris    1,310

I read John Prine is real sick with it too.

In other news, President Trump extended the social distancing guidelines to April 30th. I bet he wasn’t too happy about it, but I’m glad he listened to the doctors.