Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
ElmiraTelegram

Sears Arnot Mall Location To Close

ElmiraTelegram    133

According to a report in USA Today, the Sears store at the Arnot Mall is scheduled to close. 

The Horseheads location is one of 96 Sears and K-Mart stores that will be closing across the country after being acquired out of bankruptcy by Transformco in February 2019. Sears and Kmart have closed more than 3,500 stores and cut about 250,000 jobs in the past 15 years.

The Arnot Mall location is scheduled to be closed in April. 

Chris    1,215

This really sucks for the Mall, and it's kinda sad to see such an American institution failing. But then I have to say, they've brought it on themselves. Between outsourcing your most famous brand, Craftsman, to Lowe's and the declining level of customer service in the local store, it's no surprise really. 

• Like 1

KarenK    111
6 hours ago, Chris said:

This really sucks for the Mall, and it's kinda sad to see such an American institution failing. But then I have to say, they've brought it on themselves. Between outsourcing your most famous brand, Craftsman, to Lowe's and the declining level of customer service in the local store, it's no surprise really. 

I haven't been there in years.   I actually can't say I have been to the mall at all since I left the coffee shop.  My ex DIL works there so she's gonna take a hit there unless she can find another 2nd job.

Chris    1,215

You haven't missed much. 

This has been coming for years. The quality of many of their products has gone downhill. And God forbid you need a belt or something simple for your mower on a Saturday afternoon, they wouldn't have it. "We can order one for you and have it here next week." I can do that myself from home, and it would have saved me a 20 mile round trip for nothing. 

The effect this is going to have on the mall is staggering I'm sure. That's a HUGE chunk of real estate to fill.

KarenK    111
3 minutes ago, Chris said:

The effect this is going to have on the mall is staggering I'm sure. That's a HUGE chunk of real estate to fill.

They seem to be figuring that out though.  I just heard Planet Fitness moved into the mall in the old HL Stevens section up there.  I had no idea.  Was told its bigger and has more equipment.  The parking would be a major bonus.  Part of the reason I quit PF was because there was never anywhere to park when I got out of work.  

The event center that they moved into the old Macy's seems to have events quite often too.  Now if they can get the right combo of food and shops to compliment those kinds of venues then the mall can recreate itself.