Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
Chris

State Of The Union Address: A New Low In American Politics

Chris    1,215

I didn't watch last night because quite frankly, I don't care and I knew there would be endless talk about it on the morning news. However two moments are making the headlines. One is the president's "snub" of Nancy Pelosi's offered handshake. And perhaps it was intentional, but I'm not so sure. If you watch the clip, you'll see he doesn't shake Pence's hand either. It appears to me he simply handed off the copies of his speech to each and moved on:

It's entirely possible he didn't see her reaching out. 

However, I think the real and newest low in American politics came when:

Ann    339

I watched the State of the Union Address and I was pleasantly surprised.  I actually enjoyed listening to the President’s speech.  I agree, I don’t think the President intentionally slighted Pelosi but her tantrum at the end speaks volumes about her character.

What surprised me was that any time the President mentioned things to make improvements for and to protect the American people, very few, if any, of the Dems applauded.   In my opinion, they were rude children masquerading as adults.  If you can’t/don’t respect the man, given the positions you hold, you should be adult enough to respect the office of the President.  

Mahatma    28

from what i have come to understand is that there was handshake before hand and that their was not supposed to be a second as he gave her the  copy of his speech. AS you can see Pence understood this and by  her reaching out her hand, it  was her gaffe, him not acknowledging the gesture felt correct.  Furthermore last night was our (the American peoples) night NOT hers!  how anyone can even hint at supporting her or anyone from her party during the 2020 elections is beyond me!   YMMV 

Edited by Mahatma

Adam    34

interesting that Pelosi removed the customary line in the introductory speech of speaker as the initial snub, he then does not shake her hand, she then tears up the speech notes, and he's the asshole?

Karen Frick    1

Looks like Trump was simply handing out speeches, oblivious to both Pence and Pelosi. That said, Pelosi's stated reason for ripping up the speech was not because of any perceived snub.  According to nbcnews.com --

Pelosi issued a statement soon after Trump's speech explaining why she tore up the papers.

"The manifesto of mistruths presented in page after page of the address tonight should be a call to action for everyone who expects truth from the President and policies worthy of his office and the American people," she said.

Researching further, I found numerous fact checking sites (including Fox news) pointing to more than one "mistruth"--

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ap-fact-check-trumps-speech-needs-some-asterisks

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics/fact-check-trump-state-of-the-union-2020/index.html

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/factchecking-the-state-of-the-union-3/

Give credit where credit is due; ascribe blame where warranted.

Chris    1,215

Donald Trump, stretching the truth? Say it isn’t so! ;) That doesn’t change the fact that what she did was divisive and unbecoming. 

• Like 1

Karen Frick    1

Hmmmm, "divisive and unbecoming", where shall I start.  How about the "Prayer" Breakfast -- 

Trump's prayer breakfast jibes jolt many faith leaders

The National Prayer Breakfast has been a Washington tradition since 1953

By
DAVID CRARY AP National Writer
February 6, 2020, 4:11 PM
5 min read

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/trumps-prayer-breakfast-jibes-jolt-faith-leaders-68807388

Chris    1,215

I’m not disagreeing with you Karen. My point was Pilosi’s action took things to an even further low. “Ascribing blame where warranted” as you said.

Citing yet more crass behavior by Trump doesn’t change the fact it was, as I said, even more divisive and she was wrong. I stand by my original point, that it was a new low.

Chris    1,215
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.-George Bernard Shaw
;)

Chris    1,215
35 minutes ago, Karen Frick said:

By the way -- who's the pig you're referencing?

I’m torn between answering and leaving you in suspense. LOL

But in this case I’m referring to Trump. Not that I hold Pelosi in high, or any other level of esteem.

Chris    1,215
53 minutes ago, Karen Frick said:

ah, thanks Chris.  I didn't think you meant me. :D

Oh Lord no, I would NEVER.