Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
Rurlife.com

Loretta Lynn Declares Country Music Is "Dead"

Rurlife.com    12

Country music legend Loretta Lynn is ready to declare that her music genre of choice is "dead."

The "Coal Miner's Daughter" singer didn't hold back when she was interviewed by fellow country artist Martina McBride on her podcast, "Vocal Point."

"They've already let it [die],” Lynn, 87, told McBride, per People. "I think it’s dead. I think it’s a shame. I think it’s a shame to let a type of music die. I don’t care what any kind of music it is. Rock, country, whatever. I think it’s a shame to let it die, and I’m here to start feeding it."

McBride, 53, pointed out that Lynn seemed "mad" at the state of country music today to which Lynn responded: "Yeah. I’m getting mad about it. I am. Because it’s ridiculous."

See the rest here.

What do you think? Is country music doing okay, on the ropes, or dead?

KarenK    111

I do believe it's dying.  I love "old" country.  New country is really pop music by guys with cowboy hats.  No one will ever convince me that guys where tight skinny jeans are country singers (uh Luke Bryan >:( ).    I heard a song by someone yesterday that made me think my radio was on the wrong station.  No idea what they were saying or who it was but it sure wasn't country.

There are some guys out there still doing it right like Chris Stapleton and considering how popular he is, you have to figure people still love the sound.

• Like 2

Ann    339

I also believe Loretta Lynn’s type of country music is dead.  When listening to country music you could always identify the singer by their voice.  Today they all sound the same.  I think bluegrass and gospel is going the way of the Dodo too.

• Like 1

Chris    1,212

I would say country radio is dead, in that they play only Top 40. And right now the Top 40 is largely “bro country” that’s so cliche ( Mention beer, pick up truck, and tractor once each for a hit. Bonus point if you add Merles name, never mind you can’t name a single one of his songs. )

But I wouldn’t say the music itself is dead per se. You have guys like Stapleton as Karen mentioned as well as Luke Combs or Jamie Johnson. It’s still played on porches and under shade trees everywhere. 

Bluegrass and gospel have always been niche genres, but I’d say they’re alive and doing well. Hell, we have a young lady ( Laura Orshaw ) from Sayre/ Athens area whose group was just nominated for a Grammy!

There should be a classic country station, but terrestrial radio won’t touch it. Thank God for Sirius XM!

Hal    236

Country Music dead ?! No Virginia , as long as it lives on the hearts and minds of “old farts “ ... like me ! Anyway , I believe the country music of today has no “ color “ . It does not stir emotion , memories etc as did Jones , Hank , Cash or Haggard ! Being pretty eclectic as a rule when listening to or playing music , I just can’t listen to the majority of newer country singers as they all sound alike , with the males hitting the low drawl into the lyrics at every bar and measure and the females doing what the hell ever it is they call what they do ! Bluegrass will never die , those as with Gospel ( old or new ) are timeless , old timey music , front porch music , shade tree music as Chris says will be around as long as there are those of us that play and sing it ! 

• Like 2