Sign in to follow this  
Rurlife.com

Poultry Chat

Chris    1,310

Ordered a new flock of chicks today. I got a half dozen Easter Eggers just because. Also got Barred Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Spangled Sussex and Buff Orpingtons.

I wanted to get a couple Leghorns for white eggs but they not any of the large white egg laying birds are listed as tolerating the cold very well. So I didn’t.

• Like 1

Adam    40

kicking around the idea of what to do with my flock and whether or not to hatch out more, especially since we have that nice new incubator! in the interim i have a brooder box in the garage you can use if you need

Chris    1,310

I have a “farm” Instagram account ( formerly for Rurlife ) because I like to follow various farms and related companies to see what and how they’re doing.

One account had a couple posts for a new “breed” they were selling, which isn’t really a breed, at least in my opinion. It’s a hybrid to get a different color of an actual breed. It reminds me of pet stores selling mixed dogs as “labradoodles” or whatever as if they’re a legit breed. I don’t care for it. 

However what made me unfollow them was the picture of a chicken in a diaper. I’m sorry folks, but that’s just a step too far for my tastes. 

• Haha 1

Hal    252
On 1/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, Adam said:

kicking around the idea of what to do with my flock and whether or not to hatch out more, especially since we have that nice new incubator! in the interim i have a brooder box in the garage you can use if you need

Delivery available! 

Chris    1,310

Nah, thanks anyway. I can put them in the green shed easy enough I think. The pheasants will be able to roost outside at that time of the year

Chris    1,310

I tired a couple different things to keep the chickens from getting up on the water fount and crapping in their water. Finally I tried a tomato cage which fit around the waterer perfectly:

61D43465-A973-4028-93E6-8A2198CA81DD.jpeg

Of course I bent the ends down a little so I wouldn’t put an eye out when bending over to pick it up.

Chris    1,310

I was just thinking about the days when I worked at the local feed store and we'd start taking orders for chicks, ducklings, poults, etc. We ordered from Hoffman Hatchery in Pennsylvania and we'd have a bunch, maybe a half dozen brooders lined up and ready to go. The post office would call and we'd go get them, man did they make a racket. Then we'd bring them back, sort them, and call all the customers to come get their birds. Of course we had a LOT of supplies in stock and sold it all handily. Cleaning out the brooder trays wasn't as much fun, especially the duckling and gosling brooder, the manure combined with wet spilled feed... yum. 

One year, probably late Feb. early March, there was a power outage during a particularly cold spell. I opened the warehouse that morning and knew right away something was wrong, it was too quiet. Sure enough, the lamps had all been off and a large percentage of the birds were dead or dying from the cold, especially the smaller chicks. Those that showed any signs of life were getting stuffed in our shirts, boxed and put into our cars with the heat on blast, etc. But a lot went into the dumpster too. 

That's probably why I'm so paranoid when ours come, especially in the first couple weeks. 

I don't know why that memory hit me just now, but it did :)

Chris    1,310

Our newest batch of layers arrived today:

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.13.30 PM.png

Once again I'm real happy with Meyer Hatchery. We've ordered from them for years now and have had very few, if any, problems. I noticed with this shipment they put a heat pack under the bedding to keep the chicks warmer in transit. Additionally, they added a package of their Gro-gel to give the chicks upon arrival. I don't know if they're eating it, but its there if they need something to peck at. We ordered 20 chicks as well as their "Meal Maker" chick that they send for free. 

A Meyer Meal Maker is a FREE day old baby chick from Meyer Hatchery.  Raise the chick to laying or butchering age and simply donate the eggs or meat produced from that chicken to a local family or charity. Whether you order 3 layers or 300, you can request a Meyer Meal Maker on every chick order you place. Same goes for meat birds! This is just one simple way you and your family can get involved and make a difference in your community.

What will my Meyer Meal Maker be? We will include a free extra chick that is similar to what is already on your order. Example: If you ordered all female layers, we send another female layer. Same goes if you order all meat birds - we would send a meat bird.

I think the meal maker they sent me was a White Rock, at least thats what they said was on the Meal Maker list this week.