Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
Sign in to follow this  
Rurlife.com

Poultry Chat

Chris    1,212

Ordered a new flock of chicks today. I got a half dozen Easter Eggers just because. Also got Barred Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Spangled Sussex and Buff Orpingtons.

I wanted to get a couple Leghorns for white eggs but they not any of the large white egg laying birds are listed as tolerating the cold very well. So I didn’t.

• Like 1

Adam    34

kicking around the idea of what to do with my flock and whether or not to hatch out more, especially since we have that nice new incubator! in the interim i have a brooder box in the garage you can use if you need

Chris    1,212

I have a “farm” Instagram account ( formerly for Rurlife ) because I like to follow various farms and related companies to see what and how they’re doing.

One account had a couple posts for a new “breed” they were selling, which isn’t really a breed, at least in my opinion. It’s a hybrid to get a different color of an actual breed. It reminds me of pet stores selling mixed dogs as “labradoodles” or whatever as if they’re a legit breed. I don’t care for it. 

However what made me unfollow them was the picture of a chicken in a diaper. I’m sorry folks, but that’s just a step too far for my tastes. 

• Haha 1

Hal    236
On 1/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, Adam said:

kicking around the idea of what to do with my flock and whether or not to hatch out more, especially since we have that nice new incubator! in the interim i have a brooder box in the garage you can use if you need

Delivery available! 

Chris    1,212

Nah, thanks anyway. I can put them in the green shed easy enough I think. The pheasants will be able to roost outside at that time of the year

Chris    1,212

I tired a couple different things to keep the chickens from getting up on the water fount and crapping in their water. Finally I tried a tomato cage which fit around the waterer perfectly:

61D43465-A973-4028-93E6-8A2198CA81DD.jpeg

Of course I bent the ends down a little so I wouldn’t put an eye out when bending over to pick it up.