Sign in to follow this  
Rurlife.com

Goat Chat

Rurlife.com    18

Just a random thread for open discussion about your goats. Something new you're doing? Have some new ones on the way? Let's hear about it!

Chris    1,310

Some time around noon today something spooked the goats so bad they retreated to the far corner of their yard and doesn’t look like they moved for hours. 

Thinking maybe a bear came through I walked the perimeter looking for tracks, walked up the road, around our property and found nothing. I checked our security camera and the only thing I can see moving is a plastic grocery bag on a stake from last weeks wood delivery. Called the neighbor, he said nothing was up there he knew of. I was here the whole time ( heard nothing ) and when I left they were quiet so I thought they were in sleeping. Nope, they were hiding. 

Really weird for something to spook them so bad they wouldn’t even go in to eat . 

Chris    1,310

I think I’ve mentioned before that our three wethers are spoiled. Seriously, they’re like little dogs with hooves, only more personality. And they like it when “Dad” sits with them. They climb all over me, or at least try to... it’s not as easy as when they were little. This turns into fighting over who gets to be nearest to me. And I’m there in the middle of it. 

A butting of heads behind me turned into a glancing hit to “Dad’s” flank. Fortunately it wasn’t a full on shot to the kidneys, cuz that would have hurt!

Needless to say, that was the end of that visit.

• Like 1

Chris    1,310

Argh, one of the boys appears to have lice. 
EB5B1274-D833-4A8A-8EE8-87E86942873B.jpeg

Fortunately it’s not bad. I caught it early and got a course of treatment from the vet ( Dr Hannah is awesome ). But theyre all gonna be getting shots, and apparently Ivermectin burns so they are NOT gonna be happy with me.

Hal    252

Typical wintertime problem I believe . I used to use a couple drops of Ivermectin behind the rabbits necks , light spray over chickens backs while roosting , spraying  chicken roosts etc after cleaning . Just a wintertime malady that Ivermectin treatments help . Have to ask , how is it administered to goats ? I used to concentrate on the rabbits ears with cotton balls and ivermectin , diluted of course . 

Chris    1,310

There’s several ways, but I injected it subcutaneously and dusted them with Python Dust. Have to repeat it again in 2 weeks.

Its said to be a “hot” injection, causing them to bleat and carry on but I gave it while they were eating so if it bothered them they didn’t really let in.

I was gonna use it one the chickens too but you’re not supposed to eat their eggs for 7-14 days. I finally got an egg this morning so I’m thinking on it. Sure would be easier than Vaseline on their legs.

Chris    1,310

I did some hoof trimming today on my own since our oldest, who usually holds them for me, is college bound this Summer. The goats fussed and kicked but we got it done.  

I also dusted with Python dust again for lice. I used the sock method I saw online ( put the dust in an old sock and pat it on them ) and really got it into the affected areas on Brownie. Then I did the other two for good measure. And since the ticks will be active again. They’ll get another round of Ivermectin shots tomorrow or Friday. Then if it doesn’t improve we’ll have the vet come up.

Chris    1,310

I was offered a good deal on some new kids if I want to add more to the gang. And I do, but I can't put young kids in with our guys, they'll get creamed or killed. And I don't have anywhere to keep young kids right now. 

So I can't... bummer. I've got room for 2-3 more. 

Ivomec does sting. To help lessen the bite, lift a tall tent of skin and once you inject the medication, Jiggle it about a few seconds to get the meds to thin out. The tail picture above looks more like mites than lice but ivomec injected should do the trick. We do 1 cc per 40# sub Q once a week for 3 weeks. Topical help is Nustock..if the area is fairly local, if its in larger areas I make a spray of Nustock and water or you can grab MTG for horses worked great too. Hope your boys mend quick for you! 

Chris    1,310
5 minutes ago, Happy Bleats said:

Ivomec does sting. To help lessen the bite, lift a tall tent of skin and once you inject the medication, Jiggle it about a few seconds to get the meds to thin out. The tail picture above looks more like mites than lice but ivomec injected should do the trick. We do 1 cc per 40# sub Q once a week for 3 weeks. Topical help is Nustock..if the area is fairly local, if its in larger areas I make a spray of Nustock and water or you can grab MTG for horses worked great too. Hope your boys mend quick for you! 

They didn't really seem to mind it too bad, I was surprised. The fact they had food in their mouths probably took some of the sting out. 

That pic above is actually his lower rear leg, where it is the worst. I noticed something didn't look right around his rectum yesterday, so I powdered the hell out of it as well as the rest of him and his brothers. 

Yeah, I was powdering a goat's butt... LOL

• Haha 1

The things we do for our goats!! LOL Glad the sting wasn't too bad. Some react worse than others. I have had to hold a goat in my lap for at least 30 minutes after her shot LOL while others just walk away and sort or stretch a bit.  Getting them moving fast helps too. Food of course always helps : ) 

We down sized our herd by a lot! So weird to have only 13 goats and only 5 to have babies. Two down and one kidding today..then we wait until April for two more. DONE. so weird, sort of sad. But it's what was needed for the time. So far we have 2 sets of boy/girl twins. Waiting for Irene now, she's pawing a bit. Irene is a mini Saanan who is about as wide as tall lol..we are guessing there is a foot ball team in there lol. 

Picture of the kids so far..

20200318_185946_Fotor.jpg

20200317_130852.jpg

20200318_161844_Fotor.jpg

20200318_162719_FotorTWO.jpg

Chris    1,310

"Harmony" is adorable. Of course they ALL are!

I've resisted getting does because I don't know how I'd do with the kidding and all the potential issues that go with it. I'm pretty happy with spoiled wethers. But It would be nice to see little ones jumping around out there!

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

"Harmony" is adorable. Of course they ALL are!

I've resisted getting does because I don't know how I'd do with the kidding and all the potential issues that go with it. I'm pretty happy with spoiled wethers. But It would be nice to see little ones jumping around out there!

Girls are a whole new world for sure. If you don't want to worry about kidding season, try getting a few bottle babies : ) the joy of kids with out the worry of kidding. 

Harmony and Her brother Benjamin are Mini Saanan. They are sweet. The other pair are Lamancha. (my fave breed if I had to choose)

Chris    1,310

I got our boys right around 6 weeks old. They were handled from the very beginning, sometimes for hours and it really paid off now that they're bigger. Of course they still fight me some when trying to trim hooves or dust them, lol, but not as bad as they could. Afterward the seem to be more needy for attention, but in a calm way, like they need to be reassured they were "good boys".