Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
ElmiraTelegram

11 Dishes You Have To Eat In New York Before You Die

ElmiraTelegram    133

In New York, we’re spoiled to have a handful of fantastic cities that have become well-known for their savory dishes and out of this world restaurants. But if you’re looking to dive into our regional history a bit more and find out what has long been filling the bellies of our amazing residents, then you’re going to need to start crossing off these dishes from your dining bucket list ASAP.

1. Garbage Plate - Rochester

o-465-700x522.jpg
A dish that can often come across a bit overwhelming to our out-of-town visitors, the Garbage Plate is quite literally a mini mountain made up of heavenly flavors. A Rochester native dish, the Garbage Plate is unique in that everyone is able to customize their meal. Traditionally you'll find that the plate is made up of hamburger, chicken, sausages, eggs, grilled cheese, home fries, macaroni salad and so much more. The idea of this dish came about in the early 1900s during the Depression when everyone was trying to get more bang for their buck and has since been a local favorite. 

Where to get it: Nick Tahou's - 320 West Main Street Rochester, NY 14608

How many have you had? Or, how many have you not, but want to try?

Chris    1,215

I've always wanted to try the Garbage Plate at Nick Tahous but any time I've been by there they weren't open or we couldn't stop. 

I think you'd have to work hard to name the "Michigan" something special to be honest. Looks like something you could easily get at M&M's. And what self respecting Upstate New Yorker hasn't had wings? ( Of course we don't need to refer to them as "Buffalo Wings" like they do in other parts of the country. "Wings" is the right way to say it. )

And Chicken Riggies? Oh yes, more please. 

KarenK    111

I have had all but the Michigan one and all from their traditional hometowns because I either lived there or visited there.  Chicken Riggies and Utica Greens are "da bomb".

Spiff    85

The Garbage plate from Nick Tahou's is on my list of food to try.  Last one of those I tried local made me sick the next day,Im pretty sure it was from the premade mac salad. I could have tried the beef on weck but Im not a fan of salt and the rolls look rather salty.

• Like 1

Jack    2

I went to a wedding/reception in Rochester. 

The dinner menu was a build your own garbage plate. It was amazing. It was the best dinner menu at a reception I've been to (except my own of course).

Really want to try Chicken Riggies. 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

hlw666    3

Having moved from Elmira up to Syracuse (and I work near Utica)  Here is a short list

- Syracuse Salt Potatoes.

- Utica Greens and Chicken Riggies.  Every Italian place in New Hartford/Utica have them. 

- The garbage plate is ok (I used to work in Rochester).  I think as I get older I cant eat that type of food anymore.  

- And now for something completely different.  The Roast Pork On Garlic Bread (What is an RPG)?  I grew up in the Catskills, specifically near Monticello (Borchet Belt...)  Its a great combination.  Here is an article about it from the NYT  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020771-chinese-roast-pork-on-garlic-bread  .  If you are ever going south on RT 17 get off at exit 105 and go to Giovanni 's one of the few places that still serves it.

HW

• Like 1

KarenK    111
4 hours ago, hlw666 said:

- And now for something completely different.  The Roast Pork On Garlic Bread (What is an RPG)?  I grew up in the Catskills, specifically near Monticello (Borchet Belt...)  Its a great combination.  Here is an article about it from the NYT  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020771-chinese-roast-pork-on-garlic-bread  .  If you are ever going south on RT 17 get off at exit 105 and go to Giovanni 's one of the few places that still serves it.

HW

Well that sounds delicious!

hlw666    3
25 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Well that sounds delicious!

I get one every time I go back to visit.  

Chris    1,215

That link didn’t work for me for some reason so I looked it up. Man, that looks good! My wife’s aunt has a place just down the road from Monticello, more towards Bethel. I’ll try and remember to check out Giovannis next time we’re down there.

hlw666    3

Chris,  I grew up in South Fallsburg.  Been going there for over 40 years.  All the food is great.

HW

• Like 1