Rurlife.com

Random Chat

Chris    1,310

I got a really gracious offer this morning from the breeder we bought our three Nigerians from. First pick at a reduced price when they start kidding this Summer. Only problem is, I don't have room to keep any new kids separate from the three wethers we have now. Otherwise I would be very tempted to get a couple more. 

There was a lot of cursing going on around here yesterday as I tramped through all the mud typical of this time of year around here. God I hate it. And the problem is, I know we'll get those late Winter/ early Spring snows which only result in more mud. 

I hate mud. 

• Like 1

KarenK    120

Oh the mud.  Just another reason for the propane guy not to deliver I think.

I have had the worst service from Griffith/Superior this year. They have delivered up here since I moved up here and suddenly my driveway condition won't fly.

2  weeks ago I got a message I needed to plow and put down cinders.  It was plowed. There wasn't that much snow.  It's a dirt driveway but we accomodated.

1 week later the finally came again.  Too much ice.  Reschedule.  (I will give them that one, but after we plowed and cindered it melted and rained and melted and froze. Thus the ice. Had they come back in the next day or two after the call it would have been fine)

Tomorrow they are scheduled to come again.  Now all the ice and snow are melted but the mud is literally 6 inches or more.  

My driveway is 100ft give or take.  Apparently 100ft hose is the longest they have.  It's a good 25 - 30 ft to my propane from the driveway.  This new kid is straight up afraid to back into my driveway at all.  I'm at 15% propane as of today.

I guess if they bail on my again we will have to switch carriers to someone not afraid to deliver to rural customers.  lol.  The guy across the street from me has a 300 ft dirt driveway straight up.  Might have to see who he uses.

KReed    592

You'd think that a driver would expect that the job delivering propane entails a lot of winter driving conditions in rural areas. If you lack the skill/experience to maneuver back and forth on unpaved driveways....maybe take a job in the city?

Our propane tank can be reached from the road. Fortunately our driveway isn't very long...but it is steep. Between runoff snowmelt some natural springs, it gets a lot of ice buildup.  And the 30+% grade is a challenge when slippery....so UPS and FedEx vans can make it - I neither can my little ol' car some days.

This winter has abused it worse than usual. He's scraped and dug the ice down so much this year that the #2 underneath is about gone....so has already talked to the gravel guy to get a few loads down for us as soon as it's available. 

Chris    1,310
2 hours ago, KReed said:

This winter has abused it worse than usual. He's scraped and dug the ice down so much this year that the #2 underneath is about gone....so has already talked to the gravel guy to get a few loads down for us as soon as it's available. 

I think that's true for many of us with dirt driveways. I will probably have to have someone bring a couple truckloads of stone once the ground firms up. Right no wit'd just sink into the slop (well, not today but who knows what the temps will be tomorrow ). 

KarenK    120

Well he showed up this morning and I have no doubt had I not been working from home today, he would have left.  He walked halfway down the driveway and I went out and told him our propane was empty and he needed to get it done.

He complained about getting stuck twice already this morning and I told him that he would have no problem getting out of my driveway.  It's frozen at this point with a dusting of snow over the dirt. No ice.  I moved my car so that he could back down to the dry spots were we parked and have leverage.  I was not happy and he knew it.

Guess what?  He drove right on out of there with no problem after telling me we needed to move our tank so it's half way up the driveway.  Ummmm...........

Chris    1,310

I should know better than to celebrate this, living in Upstate NY all my life, but there's promising signs of Spring out there. 

I saw a couple flocks of starlings recently. A red winged black bird at the bird feeder. I see by the fur on their fence that the goats are starting to shed. The Call ducks are popping out stray eggs. 

Cue the monster snowstorm next week. 

Chris    1,310

Wings are clipped, and everyone is outside enjoying the sun. The goat shed has been completely cleaned out and sprayed for parasites, fresh bedding over top of that. Bird pen all sprayed out too. 

That was some serious cleaning, I’m whooped!!

Chris    1,310

The apple trees got pruned yesterday, which they really needed. They look like apple trees should now, and we'll see how they produce in the near future. We didn't touch the peach trees though. I don't think they need it much and I really want to see how they produce this coming year. 

The birds got clipped as well, so they're all able to go outside and get some sunshine and bugs. 

Funny story, our chickens haven't laid an egg in about a month. I found an egg the other day and brought it in, announcing that there was a freshen if anyone wanted it. One problem though: Our turkeys are in with the chickens and it's been so long since we had turkeys I mistook a turkey egg for a big chicken egg. Someone ate it, not sure who. More funny than anything! There is one hen who is showing some nesting tendencies, but I think it's a little early still, and I'm not so sure the young tom is doing his job just yet. 

Chris    1,310

While feeding the animals and letting them out for the day, a bald eagle flew overhead.  That’s a pretty good start to the day if ever I saw one. 

Turn the news off and enjoy the day folks.

• Like 2

Hal    252
8 hours ago, Chris said:

While feeding the animals and letting them out for the day, a bald eagle flew overhead.  That’s a pretty good start to the day if ever I saw one. 

Turn the news off and enjoy the day folks.

Yeah ... been outside all day . Finished and delivered a duck pen down the road ... that got some looks from the neighbors 😂. Got all the pallets up from last years wood supply and used the big tractor and back blade to scrape that mess into the hedgerow . Now come to find out my good hard time rack has grown legs , it was a gift and not a cheap one to replace . It’s not anywhere here on the compound thats for sure ! Other than that it Was a nice day to get some stuff done . 

Chris    1,310

I started gathering materials for upcoming projects I’ll get working on around here. certainly have plenty of time to do them.

The ducks are starting to build nests and laying in them but it’s kinda early for them to go broody. Someone we know wanted duck eggs so I’ll collect a dozen or so for them.

The turkeys, or at least one of them, I dropping eggs on the ground. I started collecting them since the tom seems to be doing his job. Then we can either put them in an incubator to hatch for a quick sale or put in nests once the hens go broody.

Chris    1,310

I just ordered an elevated garden box to grow herbs in along side our house. It'll look nicer than what we had out there, and all the different pots. 

I also have to get ready for the arrival of our chicks next week sometime. 

I'm thinking of keeping the turkeys across the road in the barn where they are, and then moving all the chickens over here to the coop I was going to put the turkeys into. The advantage to that would be I can herd the chickens into the goat run now and then and have them scratch around for ticks, thus keeping them off the goats. The problem is, the turkeys could attract unwanted attention. Although they do tend to slow traffic down when the tom is out there strutting. 

We'll see I guess, I certainly have time to think about it. But first things first, I need a decent day to get the new duck pen done. 

Chris    1,310

The weekend weather was nice, so I had good temps for getting ready for the chicks, which shipped this morning. While I was at it I did some mental figuring to see if I could keep a couple new goat kids in the shed, and I could, except I don't like to keep two types of animals in the same pen, especially goats and birds... too dusty. But it's nice to know I can if I needed to. 

I solved an issue about what to do when the weather gets too hot for the chicks to be in the shed  they're going in. Thats a little weight off my shoulders. 

I was going to post a couple pairs of Call ducks online for sale, but our county just had two confirmed cases of Covid-19, so I'll wait. 

Chris    1,310

For the first time this week I took a ride to town. Felt kinda weird. Anyhow, I went to get some bluebird boxes our local Soil and Water board makes. All the lumber milling and construction of the boxes is done right here locally.And they're only $8 a piece, so I bought four. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 1.11.11 PM.png

• Like 2

KReed    592

Is this at the Soil & Water place in Horseheads? 

We need bat boxes, too....I suppose they'll be back soon and this is the time of year to think about it.

• Like 1

Chris    1,310
6 minutes ago, KReed said:

Is this at the Soil & Water place in Horseheads? 

Yep. They still had some available there in the office