Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
Rurlife.com

Random Chat

KarenK    111

Here's hoping.  It is becoming obvious that I will be filling my propane up at least one more time. I hope it's only one more time.  That would require a relatively mild rest of the winter and early spring.

Chris    1,215

We got through about 7-8 cord a year on average. I typically fire up the boiler Nov. 1 and shut it down in early March, especially if I'm to be out of town a lot the first couple weeks. Otherwise I'll leave it if the weather is bad. 

Due to issues with our wood delivery this year, we ended up short at least a cord. So between what we had left and this 5 cord, I'm pretty certain we'll have 2-3 cord left over. Another 5 cord load and we should be set for Winter 2020. If I do things right we'll be able to always have a couple cord left over each season. 

Chris    1,215

I really wish Spring would get here so I can get out and play in the dirt, get new pens ready and others rehabilitated. 

Ann    339

Even I’m ready for Spring.  I’m tired of this half way Winter, mild/cold/snow/rain.  It’s bad enough dealing with mud in Spring but it seems like we’ve had mud since Fall.

Chris    1,215

No kidding, it was more winter back in November. And the dummies on the news keep complaining about when it’s in the 20’s and loving the 40 degree temps. We’re in the northeast guys, it’s Winter. This slogging around in the cold rain and mud sucks.

We just got back from taking care of the neighbors horses. We mucked our the stalls a little quicker today so they could come in out of the rain sooner. 

Chris    1,215

Looking out my window, I'm once again amused at how much heat is generated by the floor bedding in the chicken coop. Even with the windows open ( I keep them open for better ventilation unless its really nasty out ) you can see where the coop is by the snow one the roof!

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.39.56 AM.png

• Like 1

Chris    1,215

The boys and I stacked wood yesterday and it doesnt even look like we made a dent in the pile! 

There's 5 cord there, so I guess we'll just have to do it the same way you'd eat an elephant. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 3.35.27 PM.png

• Haha 1

Hal    236

Bwahaa ! At 15 cord I guess I’m looking to finish about , oh ... July 4th ! 😂 

Chris    1,215

Just an FYI for the Rurlife folks, yesterday I crashed the system somehow. The only option was to restore the site with the back up from Wed. So there’s a couple posts missing, but it beats losing the whole thing and having to start over.

• Like 1

Ann    339

Happy first day of February.  
No real plans for today.  Might try a new bread recipe.  Went digging into a closet last night and found a couple cress stitch and embroidery projects I started years ago and never finished.  They are now by my chair to work on now and then.

CEAB96BB-AE86-48BB-86DB-1F045146704E.jpeg

Hal    236

Got everything I wanted to get done outside today . Skids around for 3 months worth of wood stacking , moved a poultry house over to the barn to be repaired and then down the road a bit , put the 4 wheeler to work on that one ! And the usual 2 hours in the music room learning some new banjo and guitar stuff whooped and ready for some sack time !😴

Chris    1,215

If you need more pallets, I have a stack here you can have. 

• Like 1

Chris    1,215

I put an ad on Craigslist to give away the chickens now so I don't have to monkey with taking them to auction in May. I specified to please be in or very near our county. First two responses? People 45 minutes to an hour away. 

Chris    1,215

I got some work done outdoors yesterday, including scraping out part of the goat barn. It was a good mix of manure, hay and shavings, so it made its way right to the potato bed. Gonna try and muck out the chicken coop this evening, but not sure I'll have time. Plus, I have to be more careful because one of the turkey hens is a "runner" and I don't want her getting out. 

Neighbor up the road is supposed to come get about half the chickens. Funny enough, it's the lady I bought the turkeys from. Then I'll probably keep the rest because I am tired of messages from all over the state wanting the chickens. Read people, READ!!!

Chris    1,215

Hopefully you can read this print. I though it was pretty good:

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 8.35.44 AM.png

Chris    1,215

Farmers who have to deal with numerous pieces of large machinery have my respect. Because when something small, like the rope for the plow on my four wheeler breaks, I catch myself saying, “I don’t need to deal with this.” And then I remember my livelihood doesn’t depend on that broken part like a harvester or whatever. 

Perspective.

Chris    1,215

In anticipation of new laying hens this year, I ordered a new galvanized metal nesting box. I was only gonna get a 4 hole one, but since it was no tax and free shipping, I sprung for a slightly larger one. The trick, for right now, is keeping the turkeys out of the current wooden one we have. They seem to enjoy some of the plants that are in the straw and also looks like they may have found an egg to eat while the box was on the floor. Shoulda known that wouldn't work. Also found the leg bands so I can mark the old hens and differentiate them from the new ones. 

I really need Spring to get here. Especially since this Winter is so unusually warm and I'm tired of wallowing in mud and wet snow ( when we have it ). 

Hal    236

Neighbor had a run of bad luck this morning ! Someone’s dogs were running loose and killed some of her chickens on their playing spree . The pair were really hyped as the owner ( presumably) was trying to get them in her car . I don’t think the dogs get much exercise as they were all over at once really raising hell . Almost as if she had just gotten them as they obviously had a whole lot of pent up energy ! 

Hal    236
49 minutes ago, Chris said:

🤦‍♂️

Yeah ... 

Chris    1,215

Got the rope on my winch replaced to get the four wheeler plow back in service, and somehow broke another part on the plow itself. Sheared a piece of steel clean off. I shook my fist at the sky, as you can well imagine. 

I called the dealer where I got it from, and long story short they said to bring the plow up to the shop, they will see if they can get the manufacturer to replace it free of charge. Apparently Warn brand is pretty good about that. So here's hoping... Fortunately there's no significant snow on the horizon. 

Sub-zero temps for the first time this Winter are coming tonight. We've been pretty fortunate, but even one below zero night sucks. Especially getting up to go take care of the neighbor's horses!