Rurlife.com

Random Chat

Rurlife.com    9

We have something like this on the more local section of the forums, and I thought maybe we could do it here too. 

This is an ongoing section for just random chat, tell the gang what you're up to, that kind of thing. Kind of like you'd get at the local diner counter, only in cyber space. 

Chris    1,155

The boys have started taking care of some horses when our neighbor down the road is away each week. Today we went down so she could show them how to muck out the stalls which isn't hard because it's done every day. We decided to walk down, which was a big mistake, because it started raining again and we got soaked on the way home. 

The boys are doing a good job and I'm proud of them. It's not a lot of money, but its also not hard work. Plus, I think it's a good experience for them to work in a barn around large animals. There's so few farms here anymore, its not as easy for as local kid to get a farm job as it once was. And who knows, maybe something will click and they'll end up with a menagerie like their old man LOL

I may have found a trio of young Narragansett turkeys just up the road so I'll go look at them Wed., most likely buy them. I'll have to keep them in with the chickens for a couple months, but I think they'll be fine. 

Ann    330

New Years Eve and nothing special planned.  Had a hankering for egg salad so that’s made and in the fridge chilling.  
Starting to put some Christmas decorations away.  Our tree will stay up through Little Christmas,  maybe Russian New Years.  My paternal grandparents celebrated then so I like to leave our tree up as a memory of them and that time of my childhood.

Happy New Year.

• Like 1

Chris    1,155

Today before the boys mucked out the stalls we were shown how to put a bridle on a horse and lead them. She chose the more ornery horse, but apparently he's less ornery when there's gum drops on the line. LOL

Oh how I enjoy being in a real barn. I wish we had one. 

• Like 1

Chris    1,155

Took one look at these birds and knew they were coming home with me:

20200101_121439.png

I made sure they weren't related, and in fact they're not even from anywhere near here, the hens came from about 3 hours away. 

They're bunking with the chickens for a while, but will be getting their own new place in Spring. 

• Like 2

Chris    1,155

Well the new tenants kicked up a bit of dust last night settling in. There's always a day or two of jostling and a few feathers lost; they don't call it "pecking order" for nothing. I'm going to put in a temporary roost to give them more options, although one of the hens managed to get up on a rafter LOL

With all of them in there, I won't be able to partition off a spot for brooding chicks, but I can easily set them up here in the house somewhere when the time comes. 

Chris    1,155

As good as this warmer weather may be for home heating, I don't think it's doing the animals any good. They were just getting accustomed to the cold, and now it's gone from 20s to mid 40s. Tonight it sounds like a couple of the birds have colds, sneezing, etc. 

What I'm really worried about is a repeat of last year's bout with pneumonia in one of our goats. We damn near lost him, and I can only hope being older his immune system is working better. 

Ann    330

Our son found a tick on his Irish Wolfhound last night.  I wish we would get winters that are real winters, cold and snow.

Hal    230
2 hours ago, Chris said:

As good as this warmer weather may be for home heating, I don't think it's doing the animals any good. They were just getting accustomed to the cold, and now it's gone from 20s to mid 40s. Tonight it sounds like a couple of the birds have colds, sneezing, etc. 

What I'm really worried about is a repeat of last year's bout with pneumonia in one of our goats. We damn near lost him, and I can only hope being older his immune system is working better. 

A little cider vinegar in the waterer , or a bit of garlic powder ... or both , won’t hurt . 

Texas weather is bipolar!! We have low 30s then today 70's...its very hard on the animals. I find feeding whole raw garlic to my herd helps build the immune system. When your boy seems even a little off, a shot of B complex can do a world of good.  

• Like 3

Chris    1,155

I managed to see a couple Call drakes yesterday, which means I still have to get rid of 3 more. Otherwise it's gonna be really rough on the hens when they start feeling amorous. 

Chris    1,155

Yesterday I spent some time walking around in the woods looking for antler sheds. Once again, I didn't find a single one. Did bring back some pine boughs for the goats though.

Then while doing chores I noticed a serious hole in our defenses on the duck pen so patched that up real quick until I can rebuild that pen in Spring. 

Chris    1,155

How we doing folks, any feedback on the new site or ideas?

Chris    1,155

Apparently I was showing my age yesterday when I asked for a "50 of crimped oats". The new guy running the register looked at me kinda funny and I thought he didn't know what crimped oats were. No, he thought I wanted 50 bags of them. I laughed, and told him in my day we carried feed in 50's and 100# bags, and I still think that way. Then I asked for a bag ( so as not to confuse him ) of "scratch grain".

"You mean 'scratch feed'?"

"Yep."

And then for some reason I just started laughing. I asked for a bag of black oil sunflower seed. 

"You want a 'buggy' or a regular?"

"Ok," I replied. "Now you're just ( expletive deleted ) with me."

"No, I wouldn't kid you," he deadpanned. He then explained that they had bags for a reduced rate that were wormy and when warm would produce moths ( bugs ). Since I give it to our goats sometimes, I declined. 

It was a great first impression, no doubt. 

Momto6Ls    1
On 1/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, Hal said:

A little cider vinegar in the waterer , or a bit of garlic powder ... or both , won’t hurt . 

I would actually use whole cloves of garlic.  Peel and give it to them whole to crunch down. My goats will take it easily and it is a great immune booster! It’s a natural antibiotic, in fact. I add it if I see anything I don’t like going on in the goat barn. 

Momto6Ls    1
On 1/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, Happy Bleats said:

Texas weather is bipolar!! We have low 30s then today 70's...its very hard on the animals. I find feeding whole raw garlic to my herd helps build the immune system. When your boy seems even a little off, a shot of B complex can do a world of good.  

I guess I should read the whole thread before commenting!  :D Hello @happy bleats! I’m with you. And Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Hal    230
On 1/10/2020 at 4:25 AM, Momto6Ls said:

I would actually use whole cloves of garlic.  Peel and give it to them whole to crunch down. My goats will take it easily and it is a great immune booster! It’s a natural antibiotic, in fact. I add it if I see anything I don’t like going on in the goat barn. 

Actually I was commenting more on the chickens cough than the goats . Garlic powder in the waterer or cider vineger usually helps chickens . I leave goat problems to those that keep them 😆

Hal    230

Chris there was another local  feed store that had the bug problem as well . Owner explained that a whole shipment was suspect . I would not doubt it was all from the same supplier . 

Chris    1,155
2 hours ago, Hal said:

Chris there was another local  feed store that had the bug problem as well . Owner explained that a whole shipment was suspect . I would not doubt it was all from the same supplier . 

It happens, I remember it from when I worked at the feed store. I probably should have gotten a buggy bag as well, but I don't have anywhere to store it where the critters can't get to it. 

The horses were a little skittish last night, they may not have recognized me without my hat. I thought I was going to have to get a bridal on one of them and lead her in, she was being stubborn, but she changed her mind. 

This morning they were a little anxious to get out and eat, and a little cranky besides. I finally had to remind them who was in charge, and shoved one to the side so I could get past to let him out. He responded by knocking all the hay out of my grip into the mud. Jerk, LOL. 

I wish I had that barn though. It's not the fanciest in the world, but it's still more than I have now. 

Hal    230

You smelled different probably ! Remember they are just big dogs .... and yeah it is a nice barn isn’t it ?! 

Chris    1,155
12 hours ago, Hal said:

Remember they are just big dogs

Dogs that could rear up and split my skull with one good kick, but yeah, big dogs. LOL

• Haha 1

Hal    230
23 hours ago, Chris said:

Dogs that could rear up and split my skull with one good kick, but yeah, big dogs. LOL

C’mon , as a toddler you were bounced around and head butted by a pissed off ram sheep ... you got this ! 😉😂

Chris    1,155

Ok folks, my bag of tricks to get this "Rurlife" idea to build up some steam seems to have run empty. Maybe it's just that we've had a really rough week, I don't know, but I think I'm done trying to lure new people here. We'll just sort of do our own thing and let people discover us on their own. Or not. 

If you have ideas for new topics, feel free to start a new one! If there's something you think I can do, I am all ears. 

Have a great weekend!

Chris    1,155

Looks like we found a new firewood supplier, and since they’ve been in business so long it’s a good bet they’ll be dependable. 

Got 5 cord coming, and what we don’t use this season will be a good start for next year.