Announcement
  • Welcome to all new and returning Rurlife.com subscribers!
  • Have something on your mind? Sign up today, it's easy and free. Wa want to hear from you!
  • In an effort to combat an increase of attempts by SPAM accounts to sign up, some of them successful, increased security measures are in place. We apologize for the inconvenience to our new members.
ElmiraTelegram

Bookworms

ElmiraTelegram    133

This is an open and ongoing thread to share books you're currently reading and what you thought of them. 

Edited by Chris
Moved from E.T. forums to here.

Ann    339

I’m currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Prejudice by Jane Austin.   I have watched and enjoyed the movie versions of this and Sense and Sensibility too many times to count so I thought I would try the book version.   I’m enjoying the book but reading is slow because of the style of writing which is exactly how, I imagine, they spoke in the early 19th century.  This book is on a Kindle app on my Nook.

I’m also reading Dale Mayer’s Deep Beneath, the 15th book in her psychic Visions series.  In this series the main characters each have different psychic abilities and how they are helped to develop those abilities to take down the bad guys.  I have always loved books where the story line includes that something paranormal.  This is also on my Nook.

I’m also reading A Willing Murder by Jude Deverauax.  This story starts out with someone burying two “somethings”  under a tree in a back yard with references to a missing mother and daughter.  This one is a good, old fashioned paperback book.  It’s funny to refer to a paperback book as old fashioned.

I read a few pages each day from each book and it’s interesting reading three books at one time.  No issues keeping story lines and characters separate.

Chris    1,215

I'm in this weird place where I'm having trouble finding stuff I really want to sink my teeth into. But I also want to make sure to keep up a steady diet of reading so I have had to slog through a couple books lately. 

I did pick up a book I bought a while back, We Who Are Alive And Remain by Marcus Brotherton is pretty good. I read it after finally reading Band Of Brothers by Steven Ambrose. Brotherton's book is interviews with some of the men of Easy Company who maybe aren't as well known as Dick Winters or Bill Guarnare. But they have a story and perspective too, so it was a good read. At the end is a chapter by Michael Sobel, son of Capt. Herb Sobel, the officer under whom Easy Co. trained and who history hasn't been really kind to. It seems like there was a lot of hurt, especially after how he was portrayed the HBO series, ( many of the men later admitted that they may not have been so good and survived as they did if it wasn't for Sobel being so hard on them ) but it's largely been forgiven.

Right now I'm reading two books. One's another dystopian, EMP hits America book ( they're getting a little cliche, which sucks since it's what my own book is based on ) and the other is Enslaved By Ducks by Bob Tarte. It's a pretty funny book so far, and I can kinda relate to how the author describes their trials with owning different pets. 

Chris    1,215
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

I read a few pages each day from each book and it’s interesting reading three books at one time.  No issues keeping story lines and characters separate.

I've never had any issue doing that either. I keep one on the bedside table since I won't take electronics to bed and then keep a couple ready on the Kindle app at all times. 

• Like 1

Spiff    85

Working my way through the first few Dune books again! This time I read the first book adapted from its original printing in Analog Magazine. Just finished Dune Messiah which is a tough read and not the most popular of the series but a necessary one. Will be starting Children of Dune tonight.  I generally just stick to the original books by Frank Herbert I have not read any of his sons books yet.

Chris    1,215
5 hours ago, Spiff said:

Working my way through the first few Dune books again! 

Man, I tried but just couldn't get into Dune. 

Chris    1,215

For those who enjoy reading and sometimes have trouble finding the next book to read, Bookbub.com was recommended to me and signing up was a good move. You'll get daily e mails with recommended titles based on your reading preferences. I download a free sample from Amazon almost daily. 

• Like 1

Adam    34

Finished "Icognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain" by David Eagleman . It was suggested by a PA that is training me....interesting read, reading it helps you understand how we learn but also delves, a bit deeply at times, consciousness and questions just "who" is in control. 

Chris    1,215

I just finished "The Road To Woodstock" by Michael Lange. It was an interesting read, especially some of the behind the scenes before and after. Particularly after. 

I also didn't realize Hendrix played to so few people. Lange estimated around 40,000. Yet his "Star Spangled Banner" is such an iconic moment. 

Chris    1,215

I haven't responded to this one in quite a while. 

Currently I'm reading "This Blessed Earth" :

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 3.38.25 PM.png

The family farm lies at the heart of our national identity, and yet its future is in peril. Rick Hammond grew up on a farm, and for forty years he has raised cattle and crops on his wife’s fifth-generation homestead in Nebraska, in hopes of passing it on to their four children. But as the handoff nears, their family farm―and their entire way of life―are under siege on many fronts, from shifting trade policies, to encroaching pipelines, to climate change. Following the Hammonds from harvest to harvest, Ted Genoways explores the rapidly changing world of small, traditional farming operations. He creates a vivid, nuanced portrait of a radical new landscape and one family’s fight to preserve their legacy and the life they love.

Chris    1,215

It was a close call, but I accomplished my yearly "Goodreads Challenge", this year striving for 52 books, or, a book a week. 

I know you're allowed to, but I typically don't count re-reads. However in the interest of accomplishing the goal, I did count "Underboss: Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano's Life In The Mafia" by Peter Maas. It's a pretty decent read over all and reminded me that one of he and John Gotti's associates was a "resident" at a local correctional facility and was often in the hospital where I worked. Seemed like a decent guy, as long as you didn't think about the things he'd done. 

Anyhow, gonna set the new challenge or 52 books again, and I have a few in the wings waiting, including "The Way I Heard It" by Mike Rowe, whom I greatly admire. 

Anyone else doing this challenge for 2020?

Chelsea    5

I'm currently finishing up The Kennedy Debutante by Kerri Maher, which is a historical fiction all about JFK's second sister Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy, who was probably the most rebellious of all the original Kennedy kids. It's good enough to keep me interested, but it's not something I've been ready nonstop. I think I'm mostly just biding my time until I can start my new challenge. Assuming I complete it (which I should, since I'm 91% done as of this morning, that'll likely push me into 58 books for the year out of a goal of 52. Unlike Chris though, I count rereads.

My new challenge is going to be 52 again, although I'm going to try and do less rereading and more new books. Considering my 'to read' collection on my Kindle is 49 books, this shouldn't be a problem.

Chris    1,215

I read really slow this time of year so I can count them towards my new list LOL

I just started "Star Wars Memories" by Craig Miller. It's a collection of stories about his experiences working on the first two films. So far, it's pretty good. There's a story of how while filming Star Wars, Lucas was really a cheapskate, would take the actors out to lunch and not pay for their meal. So one time Harrison Ford joins Lucas and Mark Hamill. Hamill warned him to be prepared to pay his own way. They finish eating and Ford tells Hamill to go ahead and leave, he'd take care of the bill. 

Hamill leaves and Ford takes the bill, looks and it and said, "Yep, looks about right." He then handed it to Lucas and walked away. Of course Ford is famous for not being afraid to stand up to or speak his mind to Lucas. 

Chelsea    5

Well there you go! LOL. I tend to read faster at this time of year, so I've got to contain myself since I finished my book about twenty minutes ago.

I'm so bad at reading nonfiction, not gonna lie. I've been meaning to start Our Mother's War by Emily Yellin for months and haven't yet. That one sounds like a book my dad or one of my good friends might be interested in, as they both love Star Wars. I'm glad Harrison Ford stood up to Lucas though. Sounds like he needed to be put in his place.

Chris    1,215
4 hours ago, Chelsea said:

I tend to read faster at this time of year, so I've got to contain myself since I finished my book about twenty minutes ago.

I go in waves. Sometimes I'll have three books going at once, other times it's a struggle to focus and read one. I blame the internet. 

Ann    339

I’m in a dry spell right now.  Haven’t read anything in about three weeks.  

Chelsea    5
6 hours ago, Chris said:

I go in waves. Sometimes I'll have three books going at once, other times it's a struggle to focus and read one. I blame the internet. 

Oh man, I can't focus on multiple books at all!

5 hours ago, Ann said:

I’m in a dry spell right now.  Haven’t read anything in about three weeks.  

Oh man! I hate when those happen. 

Ann    339
7 hours ago, Chelsea said:

Oh man! I hate when those happen. 

Hopefully doesn’t last long.  I have some good books waiting.

Chelsea    5
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Hopefully doesn’t last long.  I have some good books waiting.

Here's hoping you get the reading bug back soon then!

Chris    1,215

I kicked off my Goodreads challenge for 2020, 52 books again. I like the symbolism of it I guess. 

While I was out shopping a couple hours from home, I found a book that keeps piquing my interest, Epilogue: The Time Machine Chronicles by Jaime Batista. It's a sequel to H.G. Wells' Time Machine that for some reason I have seen on the shelf the last couple trips I've made there, but never pick up. So Friday I decided I'd look for it on a "virtual reality" site ( more on that in a minute ) and maybe get it for free, and have one less real book to get rid of once I'm done. Well, it's not on there, and the e-reader version is $8.00. So I'll just end up buying the e-reader version eventually I guess. Although part of me is curious to see if the book will be there the next time I go. Probably not now. 

As for that virtual library site, it can be found HERE. I have no idea how they get around copyright laws, but they've been going for 10 years so they do it. My guess it's something to do with declaring themselves a "library". I've downloaded a lot of interesting titles from there with no problems like viruses or anything. If you join, it will convert the books to the format you need them for your e-reader as well which is quicker than having to do it yourself on Calibre or something. 

Chelsea    5

My Goodreads challenge is also 52 books for the year. I'm on my second book, so it's going well so far.

My first book of the year was Voyage of the Heart by Soraya Lane, and now I'm working on The Spitfire Girls by the same author. It seems my love of WWII fiction is going to persist into the new year. I've still got a ton that I need to read, so I'm trying to not reread as often as I did last year. 

45 minutes ago, Chris said:

As for that virtual library site, it can be found HERE. I have no idea how they get around copyright laws, but they've been going for 10 years so they do it. My guess it's something to do with declaring themselves a "library". I've downloaded a lot of interesting titles from there with no problems like viruses or anything. If you join, it will convert the books to the format you need them for your e-reader as well which is quicker than having to do it yourself on Calibre or something. 

As for that virtual library, thanks for telling me about it after I could've used it! LOL! I would've made great use of it when I was so sick and couldn't work last year, especially since it looks like the author I was reading at the time has all her books on there. Oh well, better late than never!

Chris    1,215
20 minutes ago, Chelsea said:

As for that virtual library, thanks for telling me about it after I could've used it! LOL! I would've made great use of it when I was so sick and couldn't work last year, especially since it looks like the author I was reading at the time has all her books on there. Oh well, better late than never!

Yeah, would've been handy I'm sure. I have a whole folder going on my desktop of books to read. 

I do Bookbub too. And if I can't find a title on the virtual library I may buy it. If it sucks I'm only out, what, a buck maybe. 

Chelsea    5
28 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah, would've been handy I'm sure. I have a whole folder going on my desktop of books to read. 

I do Bookbub too. And if I can't find a title on the virtual library I may buy it. If it sucks I'm only out, what, a buck maybe. 

Well I'm about to start a new folder on my desktop on top of the folders on my Kindle, and it's all your fault.

I do Bookbub and my local library, but I buy a lot more than I probably should.

Chris    1,215
Just now, Chelsea said:

Well I'm about to start a new folder on my desktop on top of the folders on my Kindle, and it's all your fault.

LOL!

• Haha 1