Johnny Go

Animal Sounds

Johnny Go    167

I was laying in bed last night, trying to fall asleep when the local pack of coyotes started up in the neighbors fields.  The night air seemed to be one of those times where sounds carry forever with little loss in volume or quality.  Sleeping with my head near an open window helped me enjoy the performance. They kept at it for about 10 minutes, a bit longer than normal.  A few minutes later a smaller number of them went at it for a few minutes more for an encore.

Finally, all was quiet, only sounds disturbing my potential for sleep were the snores from the dogs.  No, I am not including my wife in that statement.  When all of a sudden there was this loud, long, high pitched, plainful cry that slowly faded.  This sounded like it was so close it was in the backyard.  This call was repeated several more times, so loud I was sure it would wake the wife.  The dogs on the other hand might have opened one eye, but it was obviously nothing they were going to protect me from.  After many minutes of this it added a high pitched warbling sound between each cry.  After a few repetitions of this sequence the serenade was over.

I've never heard these particular sounds and sequences before, so I wasn't positive what was making it.  I had my suspicions, which were quickly confirmed this morning. Possibly the quality of the air  changed how I perceived these sounds.  As I suspected, the second act of the evening was performed by an eastern screech owl, and quite the show it was.

• Like 1

Chris    951
7 minutes ago, Johnny Go said:

No, I am not including my wife in that statement. 

You know how I know she doesn't come on here? You're still alive LOL

• Haha 1

Chris    951

When things are quiet enough, we can have our front door open and get quite a symphony from Nature. Owls, coyotes, and our resident gray fox is still running around here barking, although not quite as much as before. 

Johnny Go    167

I love living in the country, not sure how people survive sharing walls with other humans and surrounded by concrete.  The nighttime serenades are also one of the reasons I have resisted installing an air conditioner in our bedroom.

• Like 1

KarenK    79

We have a couple of those screech owls that live in my back woods as well as a few that are hooty.   I am a huge lover of owls and find them fascinating so I love to listen to them.  My one concern with the screechers is that I have seen them up close and personal and these are quite large.  Large enough to pick up and carry off my little 15lb terrier.  

Johnny Go    167
Posted (edited)

Not screech owls, they are among the smallest of the owls, nor much taller than a dollar bill is long.  They look like you could hold them in your cupped hands.  I saw one that managed to take down a dove, it could barely get off the ground with it and didn't make it very far before having to land again. Of course, they are predators and I won't want one to come after me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/owls.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwipxbr5z57kAhUyT98KHSFeAQEQFjASegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0cIyLBZoyJ20sM0d2Ao43x

Edited by Johnny Go
  • Like 1

KarenK    79

Must be the hoot owl that's the big one then.  Caught a pic of one sitting on our swingset one day (missing an eye) and one on top of the neighbors garage another which was much bigger.  

The screech owls are the ones that make all the noise though and it's like I disturb them when I open the back door at night or even come home late after working.