Adric1963

City Logo - We need a new one

Adric1963    1

Hey...this is a great idea...and with the goal to reinvent the city, this could be a nice rallying marketing idea!!!!!

Chris    951

I've never really thought about it, but I suppose it's not a terrible idea. 

What is a terrible idea though? That purple idea. The blue line and rings work, but the purple back drop is hideous. Additionally, I think the city can identify itself as something more than Elmira College, so I'm not a fan of that idea. 

KarenK    79

I would totally agree with you on this on Chris.  Especially Elmira College.  It should be one of our assets but no what Elmira is.

Which reminds me, has anyone had a look at the comments on the FB news sites in regard to our new taproom and potential brewery. Good lord these people want everything but complain about each and every new thing that happens.  Completely jaw dropping.

• Like 1

Chris    951
2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I would totally agree with you on this on Chris.  Especially Elmira College.  It should be one of our assets but no what Elmira is.

Yeah, there's no denying it is an asset to the city, but there's something more, something bigger, that identifies Elmira. I DO think the river needs to embraced as a part of that identity.

• Haha 1

KRSullivan    122

I agree with Chris, get rid of the purple. EC does very little to benefit the city. The college thinks of themselves as a small city within a city. 

KReed    442

Yep, change the background, otherwise a nice design. If we need to give the college a nod, throw in an Eagle instead of the gaudy purple. The Eagle represents the entire area.

I don't find EC to be as much of an asset as it could be. Like the Arena, EC could be a true asset, but seems to fall short. The term "asset" impies a net gain for the surrounding community....whether that gain is measured in dollars, resources or improved qulity of life. As it stands, students (or hockey fans) patronizing a few local bars and restaurants does not outweigh the community's contributions (tax breaks, LEO, publics works/road maintenance, etc). It could be said that staff and visitors at the prisons draw just as much for the community. 

Instead of waiting for some smart young fellow like this to make a single-handed campaign to "brand" the area.....why doesn't EC have full-semester programs in Public Relations, Advertising and Design built around conceiving and launching PR campaigns for the area as a yearly project? Flags, ad campaigns, events, small attractions, etc. All may not take off, but eventually a few great ideas could come from the students and make a real impact.

I have always kind of fancied the idea of themed statues sponsored by community businesses and tax exempt entities.  The first time I saw these were the Gator Trails staues at locations in Florida. Although the Gator Trail is sponsored by the University of Florida and technically features their mascot....the mascot does characterize the entire region....

http://www.luv2run.com/gatortrails/statues.html

I had heard about the concept a year before. As The #1 fan of Charles M Schultz I loved the Twin Cities tribute to him...Peanuts on Parade

https://www.johnweeks.com/tour/peanuts/index.html

Dothan, Alabama has its own "Peanuts Around Town"…but not the beloved Schultz characters.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/peanut-hunting-dothan

Apparently the idea may have come to the US from Switzerland a few years earlier. 

https://roadtrippers.com/magazine/cow-parade-chicago-anniversary/

In the summer of 1999—after being inspired by “CowParade,” a collection of fiberglass cows in Switzerland—Chicago businessman Peter Hanig, along with Commissioner of Cultural Affairs Lois Weisberg, decided to organize an event where local Chicago artists could decorate cow statues and place them in various spots throughout the city. 

• Like 1