ElmiraTelegram

Ideas For Local Activities

ElmiraTelegram    124

There's been a lot of activities and events in our area over the years. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 9.13.19 AM.png

From July 25, 1991

Race Week, Arts In The Park, etc., what are some of the local events from the past you enjoyed? Maybe would like to see return? 

Or do you have new ideas you'd like to share? ( Our local leaders read this site, so you never know, it could happen! )

Chris    951

I was just thinking the other day how there used to be a Race Week event nightly around here. Show cars, driver autographs, vendors, live music, food, etc. It was always a good time. I don't know if they just decided to move the whole affair to The Glen, sponsorship ran dry, or what. 

Arts In The Park is another one that could be revived I think. Think about how much student art is shown up at the mall every year. Bring that downtown, block off Main Street like they do for Wisner Market. Get as many vendors as want to participate. Again, live music, food, etc. 

KRSullivan    122

The race fest in Elmira was "suspended " while they were building the arena and the roads around it. It was supposed to return, but never did.  Citing costs and lack of driver participation Corning stopped it a few years ago. 

I remember it seemed like almost every weekend something was going on downtown and fireworks from the river on the 4th. 

Hal    218
2 hours ago, KRSullivan said:

I remember it seemed like almost every weekend something was going on downtown and fireworks from the river on the 4th. 

Fireworks over the River were great ! Could be watched from many of the parking lots on the east side and you were right under them ! 

• Like 1

KarenK    79
9 hours ago, ElmiraTelegram said:

There's been a lot of activities and events in our area over the years. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 9.13.19 AM.png

From July 25, 1991

Race Week, Arts In The Park, etc., what are some of the local events from the past you enjoyed? Maybe would like to see return? 

Or do you have new ideas you'd like to share? ( Our local leaders read this site, so you never know, it could happen! )

I miss Arts in the Park and Race Week.  Not sure what happened with the cars, they stopped doing it everywhere.  Even having a car at the plaza just to look at.  

Arts in the Park used to be sponsored by the Museum and if I recall they cited dwindling vendor participation and high insurance costs.

Seems like everything is "all or nothing" around here.  Maybe they should bring back some of these events on a smaller scale, particularly since "art" seems to be a major push in regard to downtown revitalization.