ElmiraTelegram

Man Walks On The Moon: 50 Years Ago Today

ElmiraTelegram    121

At 10:56 p.m. EDT, American astronaut Neil Armstrong, 240,000 miles from Earth, speaks these words to more than a billion people listening at home: “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Stepping off the lunar landing module Eagle, Armstrong became the first human to walk on the surface of the moon.

For those of us who were around, what do you remember most about that moment? What do you think about the space program now?

Any other space comments welcome. 

Chris    910

I can't imagine what that must have been like, the entire nation waiting nervously to see if they could do it. And they did. 

My generation has seen a lot of cool things happen, but I don't know that they compare to the moon landing. 

Speaking of cool things, it warms my heart when I see videos like this. You da man, Buzz. 

Hal    213

Quite frankly I have to say that with the lack of a good television signal at home I really don’t remember that moment ! As snowy as the lunar signal was can you imagine what it looked like on our screen at that moment ... yeah , that bad ! 

KarenK    75

I was 7 so really don't remember much.  Seems like my parents glued to a gigantic TV set with rabbit ears is about all I remember.

I remember the coverage of Elvis dying much more clearly.  lol

KReed    415

I was 2....so I'm with Karen on not realling it any better than teh JFK assassination having seen it rerun throughout my life. The first real news I can remember watching was the Watergate stuff that I clearly recal, but didn'y undersatnd at all. I was 10 when Elvis died, so that was much more clear. 

Johnny Go    156

I remember most of the space mission starting with Gemini, watched every single launch and splashdown.  We were visiting from California when the landing occurred, watched it at my grandparents house on fourth street.  I still get chips thinking about it.  I catch every launch i can when in Florida.  One of my biggest regrets is never going to watch a shuttle launch