Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

The Times They Are A-Changin'

ElmiraTelegram    121

To quote Bob Dylan, The times, they are a-changin'.

I've found it quite interesting, and somewhat sad sometimes, to watch how things have changed over the past 20-30 years. The barns and farms are mostly gone, people are more isolated thanks to "social" media, less people out hunting, etc. 

FOCUS: What traditions or "historical activities" have you seen go by the wayside? What do you think the impact will be? For the better, or for the worse? Are you starting any new traditions? If so, what are they, and how did they come about?

ALT-FOCUS: What aspects of society are changing (or have changed), and what are the repercussions as you see them?

Chris    910

Focus: Familys don't get together and go hunting anymore like they used to. I remember when I was coming of age it was a bug deal to meet somewhere for breakfast or at least a cup of coffee before heading out into the woods. I was convinced they put me in the worst spot. But you'd sit there until it was time to go home, but not before gathering again to talk ( lie ) about what you saw or, if someone was lucky, to admire a nice buck going on someone's wall. 

Now it's just everyone going their own way, if they go at all. I can wander around in the woods by myself any other time of the year. So even I simply lost interest over time. 

Alt-focus: While I know there's still good and decent people out there, I think more and more people are becoming more self absorbed and isolated. So much that families and friendships are now being torn apart by differences in political ideology. Also, it's too easy to put a shiny veneer on how the world sees your life. You can have the most dysfunctional home but no one would ever know it because you can post carefully selected photos showing the world how happy you are. Like a shiny new apple full of worms.