Sign in to follow this  
KRSullivan

Turning Pens

KRSullivan    123

Just curious if anyone here turns pen on a lathe?  I have been doing it for a few years andjust curious who else is doing it. 

Chris    1,155

Dude, I had no idea people did this. I had to Google it to see if it meant what I thought you did. 

Hal    230

Yep , it’s a thing . With some very artistic work done . One can get what the wood gives you or laminate layers of contrasting woods for some real beauties ! Did  not realize you did this my friend !? 

Chris    1,155

If you ever get a chance to watch "A Craftsman's Legacy" on PBS, do so. It's great. 

I found this from the host of that show just now:

• Like 2

KRSullivan    123

Great clip!  They really are easy to make and make great gifts. You can make 1 in 15-20 minutes and a inexpensive but nice kit can be bought for less than $5.

Linda Roorda    59
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, KRSullivan said:

I have been doing it here and there for a couple years.  It is nice and relaxing and they make good gifts. 

Those wooden pens are gorgeous! My Dad and grandfather (general contractor in NJ yrs ago) were both skilled in turning out beautiful wooden lamps and other things on the lathe, some with layering stacked wood of differing kinds/grains/coloring – always looked great. But love those gorgeous pens!! Very fine delicate work - I'm impressed!

Adam    29

not that bowls is not fun but i now have sights set on pens in 2020, also received a stave of hickory and a stave of osage for bow making as well, gonna be busy in the shop coming soon

• Like 1