Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Tick Control: How A Flock Of Chickens May Be Your Best Bet

ElmiraTelegram    121

A 1991 scientific study showed that chickens who scavenged for 30 minutes to an hour among tick-infested cattle in Kenya had eaten significant numbers of ticks. Each chicken had 3-331 ticks in its gizzard, with an average of 81 per chicken.

Although the appetite of each individual chicken may vary, overall, chickens are a good natural predator of ticks on cattle. It remains to be seen whether chickens can be used for tick control on deer and mice (or moose!) since there are so few studies.

See the rest at https://www.wideopenpets.com/tick-control-with-chickens-how-effective-is-your-fowl-flock-patrol/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=sendible&utm_term=rcountry&utm_campaign=rcountry&fbclid=IwAR0gKp77Q32NlvxOGNjc9xnOXlY_UySTa6MEkw-N_lvGzIIPP4YgOtIHzRI

Chris    910

I've been thinking about somehow getting the hens over to the goat's pen to scratch around and clean up the ticks. Might be one hell of a sight herding them across the road though. 

Johnny Go    156
On 4/26/2019 at 10:14 AM, Chris said:

I've been thinking about somehow getting the hens over to the goat's pen to scratch around and clean up the ticks. Might be one hell of a sight herding them across the road though. 

If you do, let us know with enough time to stock up on cameras and popcorn.

• Like 1

Chris    910

LOL I've done it back and forth across the road with turkeys, but that was only 3 of them. I frequently herd the ducks in at night but they're easier...usually. Trick is to get the lead one in, the rest will follow.