beekeeper

Iszards Has Been Purchased

KarenK    75
1 hour ago, beekeeper said:

Any thoughts on what it will become?  and how long the process will take?

They said that the offices will remain and habitational will be put in on the upper floors.  Catering to LECOM.

Hal    213
11 hours ago, KarenK said:

They said that the offices will remain and habitational will be put in on the upper floors.  Catering to LECOM.

But Karen ... its a revitalization strategy ! And yet another “  Developer “ is going to “ bring back “ Elmira ... ( sarcasm of course  ) ! 

KarenK    75
12 minutes ago, Hal said:

But Karen ... its a revitalization strategy ! And yet another “  Developer “ is going to “ bring back “ Elmira ... ( sarcasm of course  ) ! 

Hal, I fully believe this is going to happen.  :)

Ann    266

It would be so nice to have a decent Dept. Store in Elmira.  Businesses like that would go a long way towards revitalization.  Offices and apartments won’t keep people in Elmira except to work and live.  Personally I don’t care to have to go to Walmart and that area for shopping, I’d love to be able to spend my shopping dollars in Elmira.  Unfortunately, there’s not much retail there.

Chris    910

Elmira, in terms of retail such as Iszards and other departments stores, is not coming back. Ever. Department stores in malls are barely making it anymore due to the ease of inline shopping. The Elmira some generations remember is never coming back. And we as apartment community have to get used to that.

Offices and apartments will change the look of downtown Elmira however. People living and working there will likely prefer to spend their money there rather than drive to Big Flats. 

More people living and working there  means opportunity for smaller specialty shops, coffee houses, restaurants, and nightclubs. 

The trick is going to be getting the local politicians to GTFO of the way and let things happen. Get rid of the BS regulations that have caused others' attempts to fail. 

That's what I am most skeptical about, the bureaucratic BS. 

• Like 2

KarenK    75

There really needs to be a happy in between between Walmart or DG and Macys or Bon Ton.

Affordable, convenient yet not "cheap" if you know what I mean.  Somewhere out there this exists.

Hal    213
8 hours ago, KarenK said:

Hal, I fully believe this is going to happen.  :)

Oh , it’s going to happen Karen , I understand this ! But It’s just my opinion the City is betting it all on one horse ... We have seen this before  and other than the Multi use building on Water Street and the Washington Ave To Water St corridor for LECOM and College Students , what else is being done ? Other areas of Elmira are deteriorating as these projects move forward , again , my opinion but a broader brush could be used . 

Hal    213
5 hours ago, Chris said:

The trick is going to be getting the local politicians to GTFO of the way and let things happen. Get rid of the BS regulations that have caused others' attempts to fail. 

And that about sums it up right there ! Elmira’s Biggest Problem ...

beekeeper    5

Any idea how long this project will take?  What about the apartments that were going into the old Post Office?  It doesn't look like anything is being done there...I thought that announcement happened around the same time as the W.Water apartments that are all done...People are moving in next week.  Speaking of which, I see Wells Fargo and Bella Architects are 2 of the businesses going in there...Any idea on the 3rd one?

KarenK    75
4 hours ago, beekeeper said:

Any idea how long this project will take?  What about the apartments that were going into the old Post Office?  It doesn't look like anything is being done there...I thought that announcement happened around the same time as the W.Water apartments that are all done...People are moving in next week.  Speaking of which, I see Wells Fargo and Bella Architects are 2 of the businesses going in there...Any idea on the 3rd one?

Old post office on Church St?   I wasn't aware of any apartments going in that one.  There is a furniture warehouse store, mattress by appointment and I believe a dance studio upstairs.

The building across from Chemung Canal bank that used to be a jewelry store and offices are going to be renovated to have apartments upstairs and the building on Lake right across from the "book" store is going to be renovated into artist loft apartments.

I have seen people at both of the future apartments but no actual construction yet. 

Veenie    2

My reply to everyone is to reference Jim Cappriotti.  What he is doing for our community is outstanding.  Cappriotti Properties, have rehabilitated beautifully properties in Elmira .  If you really want to change downtown, Jim is the answer, period.

• Like 1

Chris    910

Mr. Capriotti is doing one hell of a job, no doubt. 

Veenie    2

Cappriotti Properties, also charge extremely reasonable market rates.  As a friend  with some of his tenants, they rave about him as a fantastic landlord.

• Like 1