Sign in to follow this  
beekeeper

World Record

beekeeper    5

I am wondering why there is coverage in both WETM and WENY about Horseheads St Patrick's Day parade and festivities, but nothing about the attempt to break the world record for number of people to make a shamrock.  I saw it on facebook and actually went this morning.  There were so  many people...All 1200 green ponchos were already taken...and NOTHING is in any of the news...Is that because it happened at Eldridge Park and not in Horseheads?

Chris    951

Not sure what you're talking about. There was a lot of promotion leading up to the event, especially on social media. There was an article about it here as well. 

As for news reports on Sunday evening, one TV channel doesn't have a 6 o'clock broadcast on Sundays and the other has one if it's not pre-empted by a sporting event. So no television coverage last evening wouldn't surprise me. For my part, I was occupied with another endeavor which kept me from the computer pretty much all weekend. 

On another note, I get that people are disappointed that they couldn't be in the shamrock once the organizers ran out of ponchos. My own wife and kids got turned away as well. Yeah it stinks, but you know what would stink worse? If no one showed up. I think the enthusiasm and response being so overwhelming shows promise. Hell, I never would have guessed that many people would have come. 

So much went into organizing the event we never saw. Kudos to everyone that had a hand in it, and to all who showed up to participate. Even if they weren't able to be part of the record attempt.

• Like 1

beekeeper    5

I agree.  I was just frustrated that I couldn't find out anything about it on the news at all on Sunday...I wasn't aware that one channel doesn't have  Sunday 6 oclock news and the other only when there isn't a sporting event..That explains why there was nothing online at all about the event...I read somewhere they are going to try next year with 2000 ponchos.  It looks like that many people may have fit in the outline from Fagan.  I am excited they are trying that...Why not go for 2020 ponchos in 2020?

Ibjamie    1
Posted (edited)

Looked like there was a lot of social media and television coverage to me.

Who organized and funded this?

Edited by Ibjamie
Typo

Chris    951

Organized by Elmira Downtown Development and had a host of sponsors including WENY, Hill Top Inn, Hibernians, etc.