KReed

County Executive Opposes Recreational Marijuana in Chemung County

To your other point...I think there are a lot of people who don’t identify cannabis now but will if it isn’t illegal and available, creating the potential for a greater number to impaired drivers.

Chris    951

Even less employable people because they can't pass a drug test then. Great. 

Chris    951

Voila, typos fixed. Except for "identify". 

Are you guys not able to edit posts?

KReed    442
6 hours ago, Christina Sonsire said:

It’s even more difficult. The rate of THC metabolism varies wildly depending on body weight, frequency of use, etc.

Moreover, it’s not just enough to have THC in the blood. The DA still has to prove impairment. This can almost never be shown through blood evidence alone.

As another Libertarian and supporter of Capitalism....I do believe (as noted earlier) that technology that is as (or more) accurate as BAC can and will eventually be developed to measure marijuana impairment.

LEO, prosecutors, employers and insurance companies all have a strong stake that creates a market demand for such tests....and some enterprising company will be happy to meet that demand (whenever federal laws don't prohibit them from conducting the R&D needed).

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Seems to me that people who are gonna drive high are gonna do it whether or not pot is legal. 

I agree...just like all the people who were set on drinking still drank alcohol during Prohibition. The difference is that when something is banned, we see an increase in black-market sale and the resultant crime and violence that comes with that.

Case in point... I have highlighted our experiments with prohibition over this graph of US Murder rates for the 20th Century:

image.png.afc3777a53950ca0dc541571db2b163c.png

Make no mistake about it, the original Capone-era gangsters capitalized on banned booze just as the Bloods and MS-13 are now capitalizing on banned drugs.

KReed    442
7 hours ago, Chris said:

Voila, typos fixed. Except for "identify". 

Are you guys not able to edit posts?

I still have an edit button for my posts....

Chris    951

I can't see the sense in opting out since, as Christina points out, owople will just be able to go to every surrounding county and get it. 

KReed    442
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Chris said:

I can't see the sense in opting out since, as Christina points out, owople will just be able to go to every surrounding county and get it. 

Me neither....

"IF" the state legalizes, then residents of all counties can/will indulge and all counties will have to deal with any potential effects of usage. The County Exec's position to "opt-out" of cultivation/distribution is moot on the 'social ills' argument.

And it seems a lot of people opposed to legalization in general  have the misconception that "opt-out" would somehow prohibit or at least decrease possession and use and their potential negative effects. Hopefully that distinction will be made clear if/when there any public meetings or propositions that the Legislature sends to the public on the "opt-out" issue. 

I hate to disparage the average voter...but I really think the issue needs to be broken down to about a 5th grade level by the media (not just social media) and the facts pounded in that if someone opposes "legalization" for individuals they need to address that with their STATE representatives, and that the COUNTY would only be deciding whether to "opt-out" of commercial  operations.

Edited by KReed
  • Like 2