ElmiraTelegram

Disturbance At First Arena, Supervisor Of Referees Pulls Staff From FHL

hlw666    1

I read that and couldn't stop laughing.  I don't normally comment since I don't live in the area anymore, but wow.

• Like 1

KarenK    75
7 minutes ago, ElmiraTelegram said:

Most likely you've about this by now, but in case you didn't, here's what allegedly happened at Sunday's game: http://home.elmiratelegram.com/?p=1386

I gotta tell ya, as a hockey fan from way back and growing up in Buffalo, I can not wrap my head around these hockey officials.  That's hockey.  Things get tossed, officials are threatened, shoved, yelled at and hated.  Pulling your officials from any further FHL games because a coach got in a bad refs face and gave him a shove?  There is no one going to tell me that's the first time that has ever happened.

Chris    910

I get that it's hockey, which is a rough sport, but some of the language I've seen used in reports doesn't help their image. 

Combine that with a Thunderdome mentality among a lot of people who go to see the fights more than anything, and, well... 

Johnny Go    156

Here is a great summary, sounding more like the pro-wrestling with the more I read.

https://morning-skate.com/2019/03/11/refs-have-been-pulled-for-the-rest-of-the-federal-hockey-league-season-following-an-assault-on-referees/

If you know what the Federal Hockey League is then this makes all the sense in the world to you. This is the league where degenerates go to play to say that they “play pro hockey” in their Instagram profiles all while beating the hell out of each other and “living the dream” for as long as they can. I guess the closest example of the Federal Hockey League would be either the league in Slap Shot or the AAFL if you continuously watch players blast the quarterbacks on repeat. This league is the Wild Wild West and has been for years.

Adam    19
59 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'm no physics major but if you continue the trajectory of the puck, it should show up in the net, to the right of the center post instead of the Newton-defying 90degree right turn it seems to take to hide behind the center post, further notice in the initial portion of the video, the carolina player continues to try getting the puck into the goal, AFTER  the high lighted portion. I have no dog int the hunt,and do not think what Nichols did was remotely appropriate but truly think the goal was not made

Chris    910

Syracuse, NY - The Federal Hockey League is fully aware of the situation that occurred on Sunday afternoon in game number 141 between the Carolina Thunderbirds visiting the Elmira Enforcers at First Arena. We are currently investigating the actions of several participants in the incident and gathering information. Once the investigation is completed, we will assess the proper disciplinary measures. 

We understand the severity and gravity of what has transpired, and know that with any decision made we must keep in mind the safety of our players, coaches, fans, and especially our officials. We appreciate all the passion from our fans for the game and the concerns of what has happened. Make no mistake, this has given our sport a black eye, and as a league we must try and find a way to rectify this unfortunate situation. 

We want to thank former Director of Officiating Eugene Binda for his 10 years of service to the Federal Hockey League. His service has been invaluable to our growth and we owe him a huge debt of gratitude. We respect his decision to move in a different direction and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. Our games will continued to be played and we as a league will strive to put quality officials on the ice.

The Federal Hockey League has been working very closely with the Elmira Police Department throughout the incident. They have wrapped up their investigation and no further action will be taken. 

Sincerely, 

Donald Kirnan 

Commissioner

Chris    910

Someone posted video of the incident to YouTube. This was just sent to me:

KarenK    75

Yea, he knows he was in the wrong on that on. The slammed him with fines today.

Chris    910

$25,000 fine. 

Earlier today someone from the team started a GoFundMe page to raise money to pay it. I was about halfway through writing an editorial when I saw they ended it. SO I guess I can get back to cooking supper now. 

This is getting worse and worse image wise. They need to just take their lumps, and work on representing themselves and the city better. 

Chris    910

"In addition to the fine, the Enforcers also had five players and head coach Brent Clarke all receive suspensions for their actions earlier in the game, when the five players left the bench during the first period.

The five players are: Nick Niedert, Sean Reynolds, Nathan Pelligra, Stepan Timofeyev, and Gavin Yates, who all received three games for their actions.

Coach Clarke has been suspended indefinitely until further review. The suspensions to Clarke and the five players are automatic based on FHL rules for leaving the bench."

More at https://busleaguehockey.com/2019/03/12/elmira-enforcers-fined-25000-for-owner-robbie-nichols-pushing-a-ref/

KarenK    75
2 hours ago, Chris said:

$25,000 fine. 

Earlier today someone from the team started a GoFundMe page to raise money to pay it. I was about halfway through writing an editorial when I saw they ended it. SO I guess I can get back to cooking supper now. 

This is getting worse and worse image wise. They need to just take their lumps, and work on representing themselves and the city better. 

I saw that right after work and my jaw dropped.  I did see it got removed quickly so I think it might have been the fan page that actually started rather than the Enforcers themselves.

Chris    910
51 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I think it might have been the fan page that actually started rather than the Enforcers themselves.

Nooo... I won't drop the name here, but it was team staff. I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea. 

KarenK    75
9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Nooo... I won't drop the name here, but it was team staff. I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea. 

Oh boy.  Dumb.