ElmiraTelegram

County Executive & Legislature Disagreements

KReed    442
2 hours ago, Chris said:

Thanks for joining the discussion Christina. I think this marks the first time an elected official has openly commented on here, at least that I can recall. 

I think it's a first.  

I for one would love to see more representation join and take part in discussion that includes the voters, taxpayers and other elected officials.

As I said before, a forum tab dedicated to discussions with the elected representatives would be nice. While I recall that you didn’t get answers from a number of candidates when you approached them in campaign season, maybe the ones who did respond would be receptive to an invitation to join the discussion…….The current situation with various legislators and the Exec only posting their own narratives to their own audiences only fosters more divisiveness and exacerbates the problems. 

Considering we are actively planning to escape New York State within the next 3-5 years, there is a part of me does not even care if Chemung County governance continues to worsen with further conomic stagnation and crime…..which I believe it will as long as the elected officials continue to act independent of (and without consideration for) the concerns and will of the taxpayers who are funding their idiocy. Like my family, the taxpayers who have the means will keep evacuating and the ones who can’t afford to leave will have less and less money for the county ( and towns, city, school districts, et al) to waste.

• Like 1

Chris    951
3 hours ago, KReed said:

As I said before, a forum tab dedicated to discussions with the elected representatives would be nice. While I recall that you didn’t get answers from a number of candidates when you approached them in campaign season, maybe the ones who did respond would be receptive to an invitation to join the discussion

I can make that happen with a few mouse clicks, not a problem. It's certainly worth trying. 

You thinking a forum where the initial two posts are a Q&A type thing and then discussion after?

• Like 1

KReed    442
1 hour ago, Chris said:

I can make that happen with a few mouse clicks, not a problem. It's certainly worth trying. 

You thinking a forum where the initial two posts are a Q&A type thing and then discussion after?

That sounds like a good format to try starting off.

Although, ultimately it's no more effective than the current "narratives" they're posting on their social media) unless there is participation from more than just Christina and your members. So it would be dependent on other elected officials being willing to engage in the discussion.

Chris    951
16 minutes ago, KReed said:

So it would be dependent on other elected officials being willing to engage in the discussion.

That's gonna be the challenge. 

I think a forum would be great. You (Chris), Frank Acomb and Steve Coleman have done an excellent job attempting to engage local leaders - albeit in very different ways.

As I said above, people who are elected right now are just placeholders for the future. The idea that winning an election means you must disengage from public discourse is nonsensical, as most people who run for office have been engaged prior to being sworn in.

I am up for anything you create, and am willing to help get it off the ground if you need anything.

• Like 1

Chris    951

Thanks, Christina. I see you already posted something on Facebook and response is pretty positive. I appreciate all your support. 

I still have some work to do, mostly reaching out to your colleagues at the county level as well as city and towns. I just ran out of time today ( and it's already past my bedtime right now.)

Thanks again to KReed for the suggestion!

On 3/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, Hal said:

Not that this makes any difference at all . While looking at Chemung County Matters last night I did see the response format has changed to requiring ones Name and E mail address to make a response . Is this a way to filter out all that FB fodder or to slow down all those ‘ controversial “ questions !  Now in 3 , 2 , 1 .... no , I do not have a problem giving said information , just found it interesting this happens just when the matter gets tabled and then given the content of Ms Sonsires last paragraph in her latest posting and the finality of the context therein . 

Hal - I did not make any changes to the Chemung County Matters page. I think it has always required an email address, but it’s clear lots of people make them up and I cannot confirm identities on the backend.

If any changes were made it must have been done by WordPress itself. It’s not the best host as it can go offline, makes changes without notice etc - but it’s frankly the easiest for me to use and that helps me save time crafting content.

I would be interested in talking to you about these issues, Chris. Your site is a lot cleaner looking than CCM.

Hal    218

Thank you for that explanation . I have since worked that out and decided to not respond or discuss my opinions on FB , and I don’t believe I need to explain why as , it being FB is explanation enough  ! You had answered my questions quite to my liking ,and still appreciate your doing so , well before the problem with the site occurred . 

Chris    951
3 hours ago, Christina Sonsire said:

If any changes were made it must have been done by WordPress itself.

Quite likely that it was done on the hosting end. Actually, having that extra step or two is worth it to filter out the amount of SPAM responses you'd otherwise get. 

3 hours ago, Christina Sonsire said:

I would be interested in talking to you about these issues, Chris. Your site is a lot cleaner looking than CCM.

I'd be happy to meet with you and help you out. I host through namecheap.com which is pretty reliable and economical. Additionally, they offer Wordpress on the cpanel which makes life easier. 

Chris    951

WENY is reporting that Moss has filed a second lawsuit, saying that the legislature acted improperly when it amended the county charter to clarify regarding the county attorney position. 

KarenK    79
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Chris said:

WENY is reporting that Moss has filed a second lawsuit, saying that the legislature acted improperly when it amended the county charter to clarify regarding the county attorney position. 

Not that the lawsuits are not getting old, but I did wonder if they could actually proceed to amend a law that was currently in litigation. I always thought that a lawsuit kind of stopped everything until a resolution was determined.  

Edited by KarenK
  • Like 1

Chris    951
2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I always thought that a lawsuit kind of stopped everything until a resolution was determined.  

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Adam    19

only one person but multiple times i had sent to a few different players, the suggestion to simply put it to a public referendum. Easily avoids wasting taxpayers' money(as has been listed as a concern) and could quickly settle the issue by actually hearing from those it directly affects....quite frankly i still believe the Legislature is wrong in how they interpret the Charter relating to the Attorney AND has overstepped by amending the Charter in such a manner