Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Gardening Thread 2019

Chris    951

The catalogs are arriving and our Winter weary brains are turning towards looking out the window, dreaming what we'll do when Spring arrives. 

What are your garden plans? And as time goes on throughout the year, how's it looking?

Hal    218

Maybe one more raised bed ! All table veggies this year not much sense in canning anything with just us two . I have gotten a taste for fresh beets and grape tomatoes in my old age LOL ! 

Not a garden thing but ... I put 5 Tulip Tree and 1 Apple tree cuttings up in the barn to root about 8 weeks ago . Fingers crossed that the Rooting hormone did its job . Although the shoots that were on them at cutting were green , and still are sooo... 

• Like 1

Chris    951

I own't be bothering with cucumbers this year, I think we only ate one and the rest went to the birds. Cutting back on zucchini as well, just one, maybe two plants. I'll definitely try my hand at pumpkins again, since I managed to grow a few last year for the first time. 

Another whole bed will be devoted to potatoes as usual, gotta have my spuds. I may get a container and try to get the right soil mixture ( mostly sand ) for carrots. 

Maybe some colder weather stuff in the Spring, lettuce, snow peas. 

• Like 1

Chris    951

I forgot to mention, I'm gonna try my hand at rosemary. More specifically, keeping it alive indoors year round. 

It's kind of a touchy plant, and from what I've read it looks like we've been over watering it once we bring it indoors. It does better if the soil is dryer and you mist the plant.

Actually, I'd like to keep a small herb garden going right on the kitchen counter year round. I prefer to cook with fresh herbs as much as I can. 

Chris    951

The other night I ran the stone rake through the dirt in the raised beds, just to mix it up and keep weeds from getting a firm hold. What's interesting to note is how loose the soil in the potato bed is compared to that of the other two. I don't know if it's because the compost used there was home made and not from the store, or if the potatoes growing and being pulled up keep it more loose. Whatever it is, I need to reproduce it in the other two for easier weeding and all that.

Chris    951

I'll tell you what, the way the goats waste hay, I'm gonna have a TON of compost once is gets cooking. 

In addition, I have a new mower with a bagger so keeping a good mix of "green and brown" shouldn't be too difficult. 

Chris    951

Good thing I don't plant until Memorial Day. This rain is keeping me from doing anything other than keeping up with the lawn. 

Chris    951

I got 2/3 planted yesterday, including pole beans and corn. I have to get some pumpkin and zucchini seeds. I also need to buy and pot some herbs.

The corn will probably be a waste, I usually lose it to coons. But what the heck, I had the seeds already.

Chris    951

The garden has been rather slow to sprout. The pole beans I planted, none of them came up. The potatoes are breaking through but took their sweet time. 

I replanted the pole beans and will get a new packet, just in case it's a bad batch of seeds or something. I was thinking about putting in more blueberries this year but, nah. 

Hal    218

No gardens here , no raised beds planted ... no ambition for it this year it would seem .

KReed    442
1 hour ago, Hal said:

No gardens here , no raised beds planted ... no ambition for it this year it would seem .

I'm right there with you, Hal.

Between the constant wet weather and poor results for almost everything last year...I'm just not feeling it this year.

Hal    218

Our excuse ( other than lack of ambition) ... we are letting the ground lie fallow this year ! 😆 You could use that one as well KReed . 😉

• Like 1

Johnny Go    167

Cold and wet makes for terrible gardening, and farming.  Tell me again why a slightly warmer Earth, and the observed greening of deserts and expansion of farming areas, is bad thing?  To me, slightly cooler is terrifying.

Chris    951
1 hour ago, Johnny Go said:

Cold and wet makes for terrible gardening...

I'll have lots of spare time in a couple weeks so I'm being an optimist. Or just stupid :D

Hal    218

Nope , not gonna look twice at the gardening this year ... hell , I don’t really have the time or won’t have these , Apple trees are freaking loaded  ! And then there are the bee’s ! One ride around Seneca lake and we will have all the fresh vegetables we can use . 

Chris    951

It's starting to go well:

20190621_162809.jpg

I ended up buying new pole bean seeds to plant, I think the ones I had and the corn weren't any good. 

• Like 1

Chris    951

Just for giggles I stopped at Banfield Baker to pick up some more plants. I put in some peppers and a cherry tomato plant, but in containers near the house. Also got some oregano. 

They have those raised planters at Sam's club and I was tempted to get one to really have an herb garden ( I like to cook with fresh herbs ). But at the price, I can get a better quality one from one of the catalogs I get for just a little more. Maybe next year. 

KReed    442
On 6/30/2019 at 9:12 AM, Chris said:

But at the price, I can get a better quality one from one of the catalogs I get for just a little more. Maybe next year. 

Wait until later in the season when they are down to the last floor model.....then talk to a manager.  You can probably get it at a steal to have for next year.  We've had great luck making an offer to get things out of their way once they're discontinued.

OK....by "we" I mostly mean "he" has had great luck, as he stops into Sam's a lot during the weekdays when it's slow and can watch for when it's the last one in stock and hit them up for a deal. I mostly get over there on weekends when it's too crazy and they have no time (or desire) to haggle. :-)

Chris    951

That's a good idea. I do have to go up there next week so I'll take a look. 

Chris    951

Things are taking off. The beans, zukes, and pumpkins have blossoms started. 

20190713_203924.jpg

Additionally, we might have peaches this year. One tree in particular is loaded:

20190713_204140.jpg

Adam    19
1 hour ago, Chris said:

Things are taking off. The beans, zukes, and pumpkins have blossoms started. 

20190713_203924.jpg

Additionally, we might have peaches this year. One tree in particular is loaded:

20190713_204140.jpg

for better/bigger fruit, should pop a few off now

Hal    218

I’ve been thinning out the apples on a couple trees and still having to prop up the branch’s ... here’s hoping for some tasty cider this year ! Or maybe even one of Abby’s Apple pies , best crust ever !! 

Chris    951

I pulled up a row of bean plants today to give the other two rows more room. It was about played out anyhow. I also dug up the potatoes. Didn't have quite as many as last year, but I think the timing was right since some of them were starting to rot in the ground. 

The blueberry bushes are about played out too. I'm kinda surprised at how many we got this year. I was thinking of adding a few more but looks like we don't really need to. 

The pumpkins are doing well too. I have 5 on the vine now and a lot more blossoms coming on. 

Hal    218

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but at the rate my  early Apple tree is dropping fruit to the ground we may have an early Autumn this year . This tree never lies ( I know Karen ... “stupid tree “ ) it’s an early  variety but it’s about 4 weeks early for ripe apples .