ElmiraTelegram

Amazon.com Facility In Chemung County

ElmiraTelegram    124

As you've probably heard by now, Amazon.com has backed out of plans to build a new facility in New York due to protests by unions and politicians. Chemung County lawmakers and others has sent an open letter to the online retail site to bring their facility here to Chemung County. 

While an astronomically long shot, what are your thoughts about this? What, if any, drawbacks could you see to Amazon coming here?

Ann    287

I say go for it.  My only concern is the cost of any feasibility studies.  I’d hate to see thousands of dollars spent on a long shot.

Chris    951

There shouldn't be one thin dime spent on any studies whatsoever since the company has already said "screw it" and will just continue out of existing facilities. 

It's a nice idea but there are a couple concerns in have. One being the effect on local retailers. Would a hypothetical Amazon distribution center in our backyard mean availability of same day delivery? I don't think even Walmart would be able to compete with that. 

Secindly, during a job interview, I was told that a surprisingly large percentage of potential employees in this area are unable to pass a simple drug test. The ones that can are being competed for among employers. What, if any, effect would this and the hypothetical influx of new jobs have on the area? A trickle down of employment opportunities and are lack of able or willing bodies to fill it?

Again, all hypothetical. Especially since it wasn't just the city of NY that caused Amazon to back out but the state as well. Anyone doubt the unions would still be breathing down their neck whether downstate or here? 

Hal    218

Oh yeah ... go for it ! A few problems I can possibly see happening , the aforementioned “ feasibility studies “ a misnomer if ever there was one ... off course Jobs are Feasable ! And Jobs ... dirty word for some occupationally  entitled locals who would go to great lengths to avoid actually working for that “  earned income credit “  . The labor pool in the area is tainted in as much as people apply for and interview for employment then fail the drug test ! This has been.a problem for years and continues to be a stumbling block for otherwise employable folks . Negativity ... no , just reality ! Another thing to consider is this . Other Companies have come into the area paying the locals less than the average wage at thier other locations , this would be something else to watch for in this case . Again ... confirmed fact not negativity on my part . I again support this idea , I just would like it done without tearing into the County wallet too badly ! 

Edited by Hal
Any redundancy was due to Chris typing faster than myself ... but great minds thinking alike and all that ! 😆

KRSullivan    122

The issue I see is size. The current Amazon HQ is 13.6 million sq ft. The Empire state building is 2.8 million sq ft.  If this is supposed to Amazon HQ 2.0 they required up to 8 million sq ft of space to allow for future expansion.  That is .28 sq miles. I cannot think of an area that large and available in Chemung county. The full list of requirements are below. We may fill a few but miss on most of the requirements. 

Amazon's request for proposals outlined several core requirements, as well as optional preferences.

• Metropolitan areas with a population of over 1 million
  • Within 30 miles (48 km) of a population center
  • Within 45 minutes of an international airport
  • Proximity to major highways and arterial roads 1–3 miles (2–5 km)
  • Access to mass transit routes
  • Up to 8 million square feet (740,000 m2) of office space for future expansion

Optional preferences included airports with direct flights to Seattle, New York City, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., urban locations, and proximity to major universities.

Johnny Go    167

The drawbacks, let me count the ways...

Actually, the drawbacks I can think of would be mitigated by the list of requirements outlined above, such as  having a population > 1 millionprople.

This is a facility which would need potentially tens of thousands of employees, a significant portion of the labor pool which exists in this area.  Thus, many people would  need to relocate to this area in order to meet the demand.  Imagine the areas in which this would cause disruption; housing, public services (power, water, sanitation) competition for employees to established businesses, traffic congestion, schools to name but a few.

Does anyone remember all of the complaints when fracking took off just over the border in PA?  That is minor compared to what this would cause.

• Like 1

Chris    951

That's a good point. People had a hard time finding a place to live and if they did, the rent more often than not had recently skyrocketed. 

KarenK    79

So the question is, where wouldn't this be an issue?  It's going to be an issue not matter where they put it.  Personally I think CC or general vicinity has way more space and options that shoving the thing into Queens NY.  There is no room to move there now.

The amount of time it would take to finalize plans, build, hire etc etc would more than allow for planning for housing, shopping and schools.

I know its not a reality for this area but I think if it were, we could work around it

• Like 1