Chris

Crystal City Olive Oil

Chris    910

This place was recommended by a friend years ago, and when we finally got to Market Street in Corning we stopped in. 

They have a wide variety of olive oil and balsamic vinegars, some seasonal, some always in stock.

There's several locations: Corning, Owego, and a new on in Watkins Glen. The staff at the two locations we've been to are always friendly always helpful. All product can be sampled so you know what you're buying. Perhaps able to think of how to use it. 

We're solidly hooked on the Tuscan herb infused olive oil. It's great with pork, chicken, even home fries. Some of the balsamic blends we have and use are lemon, raspberry, even espresso flavored. The raspberry I'd like to try over vanilla ice cream, but it's also great with chicken, especially used in conjunction with heavier spices. 

It's worth checking out, especially if you like to cook and expiriment in the kitchen like I do. 

Learn more about them at http://www.crystalcityoliveoil.com

KarenK    75

I LOVE that place.  Like a kid in a candy store.  You can sample before you buy.  I have purchased several balsamics in the past and a jalapeno oil and garlic oil that were really good.  I never get down that way anymore though.  :(

Chris    910

The Comic Pear is a solid go to for pork chops, we recently found. Probably good with chicken as well. 

Can't wait to grill some stuff this Summer!

Mary    113

Their fig basalmic is pure perfection.

Garlic olive oil, tuscan herb, in the fall they have a butternut squash that is tasty.

I could just hang out there and taste vinegars and oil all day long if they let me.

Johnny Go    156

I always had a love/hate relationship with olive oil.  I read an article a few years ago that helped to explain it.  Americans tend to think rancid olive oil is what olive oil is supposed to taste like.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/most-of-us-are-blissfully-ignorant-about-how-much-rancid-olive-oil-we-use/

Since then, I have almost completely given up on buying and using olive oil.  I absolutely despise the smell and taste of rancid olive oil.  I have had "oils" on the table in some restaurants for bread dipping which don't have this rancid taste, usually they have no taste at all which I suspect means they are not olive oil.  Too much of what I have bought has been rancid, not the good "bitter" of Olive oil.  For the cost, I'm hesitant to buy without tasting first. 

If they provide tastings, I just might stop in this place to see what they have.  Thanks for the tip!

Chris    910
4 hours ago, Johnny Go said:

If they provide tastings, I just might stop in this place to see what they have.  Thanks for the tip!

They definitely do Johnny! You can taste the various oils and blends of balsamic vinaigrettes. Additionally, you can choose from a couple different bottle sizes to suit your needs and avoid rancid oils. 

I too have had rancid oil, but a good olive oil, especially infused, can make a meal.