Sign in to follow this  
Hal

Hatching chicks 2019

Hal    213

Getting a head start on the Spring , or is it anticipation ... I don’t know ! ?  Anyway I am in day 14 of incubating eggs hoping to get a good ratio of hatchers 40 eggs went in . Culled after candling yesterday 8 were non starters and I’m find it damn near impossible to candle blue eggs . So I’m left with 30 which are developing right on schedule . I believe this new incubator Adam got last year to be far and away the easiest one ever . Forced air , built in electronic hydrometer and electronic thermostat make it easy to check just a couple times a day . So  , one more week and we shall see  ! 

A70B0BD3-883E-438F-B7DC-D6B2627FDA26.jpeg

Edited by Hal
  • Like 2

Chris    910

I've heard the newer forced air are better than those old Styrofoam ones like I used to have. You'll have to post pics as the big day unfolds ( from through the little window of course ). 

Hal    213
1 hour ago, Chris said:

I've heard the newer forced air are better than those old Styrofoam ones like I used to have. You'll have to post pics as the big day unfolds ( from through the little window of course ). 

They really are , a quick  glance at the control screen shows temp , set temp and humidity. Add a bit of water to the tray every other day . After checking and candling the temp comes back in less than a minute . Pics .. when they , wait ... can’t count em yet ! 

Hal    213

Candled again yesterday . 25 were showing movement inside , even the blue eggs showing an air cell . Stop the turning tomorrow and raise humidity for hatch to begin . 

Hal    213

And it starts ... 21 days in , right on schedule . This was one from an egg collected day one of three days of collecting and storage of 40 potential hatchers . So , to get eggs before they chill out in the pen proves difficult this time of year ... duh , right ! LOL . Anyway  10 are pipping and hatching and another 15 should start pipping overnight . 

2FDC4E2D-3F90-4E5E-89FC-308747EE2001.jpeg

• Like 2

Chris    910

Every now and then I get tempted to hatch a bunch of little ones, but having a broody hen do the job is so much easier. 

That and I don't have a rooster. :)

I gave up on hatching duck eggs, it's pretty difficult for the Call Ducks, even for experienced breeders. Meanwhile, the hens' last hatch rate was nearly 100%

• Like 1

Hal    213

I have to admit I like to see a hen and chicks running around the yard !  My problem is I can’t be hands off in the whole incubating process . As with the one “ help out “ today , still not completely hatched out , it has to finish hatching on its own ! Yeah , incubating ducks in general I understand is not easy , temps and a higher humidity, but I would give it a go ! 

• Like 1

Hal    213

Well , here’s a first for me ... The best you can expect ( according to experts ) is 85% hatch rate . Hmmm , gotta call said experts so they can redo thier numbers . Not being cocky but evert egg i candled at day 14 hatched giving me 100% hatch rate ! Now I have to move up to a bigger brood box to accommodate the little booger’s . Pics later . 

• Like 1

Hal    213

I had to go get a bigger tote for a brooder ! No way could they all stay in the other one I have used for quite some time ... Doesn’t look like 25 balls of fluff do they 

8F63BE00-7886-437C-8B41-86155CCFC5E7.jpeg

111133AC-BB58-42C4-88E6-CC293885FB0B.jpeg

• Like 3

Hal    213

All 25 out in the garage in big brooder for about three weeks till they go to the “ juniors pen “ in the barn ! By then batch two will be started in incubator. All equipment washed disinfected and ready for another run ...