Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Woodstock 50th Coming To Watkins Glen

Chris    910

You can see more about this in the Regional section. 

Open discussion about what this means for the area ( other than a TON of tourist money coming in ). 

Also, who would you like to see there?

Hal    213
2 hours ago, Chris said:

You can see more about this in the Regional section. 

Open discussion about what this means for the area ( other than a TON of tourist money coming in ). 

Also, who would you like to see there?

The Survivors ! No not the original attendee’s , the band members who are / may still be alive ! I kid ( sort of ) 😂

All kidding aside I think this is Great news ... however , remember , the mentality of today’s attendee’s ,to such an affair , will be close to a 365 degree difference from the original generations ! This area Better be ready for some serious party go’ers both young an old...er . 

Chris    910
15 minutes ago, Hal said:

The Survivors ! No not the original attendee’s , the band members who are / may still be alive ! I kid ( sort of ). 

They are trying to get those who were there to come. But according to what I've read, they're having trouble with Crosby, Stills and Nash. As for those no longer alive, they're looking at doing tributes with current artists. 

16 minutes ago, Hal said:

All kidding aside I think this is Great news ... however , remember , the mentality of today’s attendee’s ,to such an affair , will be close to a 365 degree difference from the original generations ! This area Better be ready for some serious party go’ers both young an old...er . 

There is that. But it sounds like they're trying to make sure the generation who was actually there, whether they remember it or not, to come as well as the younger generations.

I remember watching '99 on tv. What a shit show. And a co-worker at the time who was there said it was ridiculous. 

Hal    213

Bwahaa , “ whether they remember it or not “ ...  Because as the saying goes “ if you remember Woodstock , you weren’t really there “ ! Guess we’ll just see how this plays out , but I do hope for the best ! 

Chris    910

I think the estimated dollar number I heard on the news last night was 35-50 million dollars coming in to the area. It could be even more, I'd bet. 

Chemung County should be looking for every which way to capitalize on this as they can. 

Chris    910
On 1/14/2019 at 10:00 PM, Johnny Go said:

Let's hope we don't get a repeat of August 2018.

From your lips to God's ears. I don't think I can stand another "Summer" like that. 

Chris    910

Names of acts that will be performing have been being leaked. Here's a few rumored to be coming:

Jay-Z

The Dead and Company ( featuring John Mayer and original Grateful Dead members )  

The Black Keys 

Chance the Rapper 

Imagine Dragons

Santana

The Killers

The Raconteurs (featuring Jack White)

Run the Jewels

Gary Clark Jr.

Greta Van Fleet

Sturgill Simpson

The Lumineers

Bishop Briggs

Pussy Riot

Courtney Barnett

Kacey Musgraves

Robert Plant

Chris    910

Not to be a downer, but there are very few people on this lineup I'd go see. Actually, I've never heard of at least 75% of them:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 7.03.33 PM.png

Jack    1

Black Keys pulled out due to “scheduling conflict”. Sure. 

Greta Van Fleet is pretty much a Led Zepp tribute band. Will probably see Plant join them on stage. 

I’ve seen Jay Z and a few other acts. Would really like to see Chance the Rapper but he would be about it. 

Not enough punk or ska on the list for me. 

Chris    910

Apparently the ticket sales have been delayed. I can't imagine it's due to the Black Keys backing out. 

Sorry, but selling them as weekend passes only, no single day, is ridiculous. 

Johnny Go    156

They expect to sell out full weekend passes. 

I'm still thinking this isn't exactly my thing, so doesn't matter to me. 

Chris    910

I no sooner made my last post and they reported on the news the reason is they haven't gotten the gathering permit yet. 

Hal    213

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be one big cluster f**k  ?! 

Chris    910
Posted (edited)

Attendance is reported to be capped at 75,000

I saw this meme on Facebook, thought it was kinda funny:

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 9.40.55 AM.png

Edited by Chris
Works better when I add the pic

Ibjamie    1

Supposedly the promoter already paid the talent, math doesn't work well though.

The cost for the show would be well over 75000 ticket sales at 450 a copy.

Chris    910
5 hours ago, Johnny Go said:

Cancelled?  Shocker.

I've wondered how in the hell you announce and start selling tickets for a festival you don't even have permits for. 

You don't apparently. 

Makes me wonder what other issues there are/ were we aren't hearing about. 

Chris    910

Lang insists the festival will take place:

Dear Woodstock Friends

It seems in a way that history is repeating itself. In July of 1969 we lost our site in Walkill and with only a month to go we managed to move to Bethel. Woodstock was going to happen no matter what!

This time around, Woodstock’s new hometown, Dix & Watkins Glen, NY and New York State have been really wonderful. I went door to door to talk to the neighbors. Some remembered Summer Jam back in ’73 and were worried about history repeating itself. But they opened their doors to us and we talked it out.  Many of those people have reached out over the last 24 hours with messages of hope and encouragement.
The venue, Watkins Glen International, have been totally supportive and professional.

Yesterday, our financial partner, Dentsu-Aegis, made the decision to pull out and informed us that they were cancelling the festival at the same time they let the press release go public.
We have yet to understand why they would try to prevent the festival from happening by seemingly undermining us in this way. It is one thing to decide for oneself that it is best to move on, but it is entirely another thing to try and close the door on us.

Yesterday, I couldn’t help but relive that moment 50 years ago – it was “ déjà vu all over again”!
Supporting the principles of activism and sustainability are too important to be derailed by shortsighted partners.
We continue our work with NYS, Schuyler County and various parties to keep things on track.

Woodstock never belonged to Dentsu, so they don’t have a right to cancel it.
Woodstock belongs to the people and it always will.
We don’t give up and Woodstock 50 will take place and will be a blast!

Thanks for Listening,

Michael

Chris    910

I was thinking today, that maybe in the spirit of the original Lang would have done better to maybe get a well known headliner for each night and then feature local/regional and other acts from beyond. Some of the acts that played in '69 weren't very well known until they played Woodstock. 

Think shout how much money would be saved on three major acts instead of the lineup they have ( had?). 

• Like 1

KReed    415

I agree.

The success and fame of original event came from the atmosphere, the lineup and the mood of the artists and attendees – not the Woodstock or Lang names.

They would have more chance of recapturing those factors by having an original performer each day or at least reproducing the lineup model/arrangement as Chris noted.

I have no doubt that simply giving this event the iconic "Woodstock" name will draw a certain amount of interest.....but the name seems to be the only connection. 

Jack    1

Maybe after this and the shitshow that was Epicenter at the track in Rockingham, NC would prove maybe race tracks shouldn't be doing this sort of thing?

This is two big whiffs for WGI two years in a row. 

KReed    415

The drama continues....

Watkins Glen issued a two-sentence statement saying it had terminated the site license for the upstate New York festival “pursuant to provisions of the contract.”

https://www.apnews.com/a86fb62d3145421a8a38f138c8fd0426

But later in the day, a principal organizer indicated the show would go on.

“We are in discussions with another venue to host Woodstock 50 on August 16th_18th and look forward to sharing the new location when tickets go on sale in the coming weeks,” said Gregory Peck, a managing member of organizers of Woodstock 50 LLC.

They'll disclose the location  "when tickets go on sale in the coming weeks” ?

Yeah, good luck with getting anything close to the 150,000 attendees they kept saying they expect when they're still figuring this stuff out 8 weeks before the alleged event.

Chris    910

There's persistent, and then there's delusional. 

Guess where they're at now?

KReed    415

At T minus 27 days and counting....still delusional. 

• Like 2