Sign in to follow this  
ElmiraTelegram

Path For Chemung County?

ElmiraTelegram    109

Starting today, Chemung County embarks on a new era with the swearing in of a new County Executive and several new members of the County Legislature. 

Many promises have been made, including a more open, transparent county government. Likewise, many new ideas will be brought to the legislature. 

What would you like to see the new administration and legislature accomplish in the next year? What ideas do you have that you think would help Chemung County or the City of Elmira prosper?

Chris    630

I'd think right off the bat we're going to see improvement in the relationship between the city and the county. That's vital. 

I definitely want to see them make good on promises of term limits. I know not all the legislators agree with that, or say "the people have that power already", but the truth is it's too easy for "the people" to become complacent and just keep voting on name recognition alone. Just look at the mess in D.C. 

There's allegations of a lot of shady stuff going on in various county agencies. If true, I'm hoping to see those either brought to light or squashed under this new administration. 

I'm sure I'll think of more later. 

• Like 1

Adam    7

besides better relations with the City, i think County needs to partner closer with the outlying municipalities and cast wider nets regarding attracting business and the right people to the area to encourage the right kind of growth...our area needs to become a destination, not just a place you gas up at en route to one. Looking forward to seeing what Mr. Moss can do and hoping that even those Legislators making their "paltry" salary step up and do what's right for the ENTIRE area

• Like 2

KReed    264

I agree with becoming a destination.

And toward that end, I hope this new county government will work toward simply getting out of the way of business owners (and prospective businesses)…..rather than the past administrations that “invested” taxpayers’ money hand over fist to fund their pet projects.

No attraction, service or other business that will honestly draw consumers to the area should need someone to build their venue and pay their utilities. If the profits their consumers provide don’t cover operating expenses, then it is not truly bringing revenue.

• Like 3

Chris    630

Very true KReed. 

I recall visiting a new bakery in downtown Elmira in years past and hearing how the rules were so rigid, it seemed to set a business up for failure from the outset. 

The best thing the local government can do, for downtown or anywhere, is get out of their way. 

KRSullivan    98

I agree with Adam, The county has done great at steeting businesses to Big Flats. That is just a small portion of our county. I would also like to see a stop to the extra loads of refuse from NYC to the landfill. Yes it has plenty of room but it isn't going to last forever if we keep taking hundreds of tons of garbage from other areas. In 20-30 years we will be paying other places to take our garbage. 

• Like 4

Chris    630
4 hours ago, KRSullivan said:

I agree with Adam, The county has done great at steeting businesses to Big Flats. That is just a small portion of our county.

There's so much more to Chemung County than that one section. Other than being right off the four lane, I've never understood why so much focus has been there. The city of Elmira is right off the highway as well. Hills plaza still sits empty, less than a mile off the highway. And now there's going to be a huge void in Grand Central Plaza once Kmart closes. 

4 hours ago, KRSullivan said:

I would also like to see a stop to the extra loads of refuse from NYC to the landfill. Yes it has plenty of room but it isn't going to last forever if we keep taking hundreds of tons of garbage from other areas. In 20-30 years we will be paying other places to take our garbage. 

That's the forward kinda thinking this county needs!

KReed    264
Posted (edited)

I would like to know the history and details on how town and municipal zoning laws have shaped growth in the county.

There was significant contention (to the level of public hostility) among the citizens and within the town board of Big Flats leading up to Consumer Square's development. The areas of County Rte 64 now crowded with retail had been zoned as residential, agricultural and industrial. The county did not have the authority to just invite retail development without a lot of input and compromise from the town and landowners. 

Hills and GCP were obviously already zoned retail by the local government, but I have never heard the about what types of zoning/ordinances the eastern towns have in place. 

Edited by KReed

Hal    162

By Eastern Town I can assume that Baldwin is included?  As to Zoning and Ordinances in Baldwin, we are zoned Agricultural/ Residential. Ordinances have been in place as Law, voted in by Town Residents, since the mid nineties. Now found to be “arbitrary" by some Past and Present Town Officials, the Ordinances are rarely, if ever, enforced by Code Enforcement! So I can safely say Baldwin will never be in the running for anything other than ... let’s call them Cottage industries, and that’s being generous! 

I agree wholeheartedly with KRSullivan on the landfill issue that garbage from outside the County by Casella needs to be limited. 

KReed    264

Thanks for the summary of Baldwin’s zoning laws. For as many things as we can ask the County to improve economically – they can’t (and shouldn’t) be dictating town decisions.

It is ultimately up to those municipalities to allow whatever development they feel is in their best interest. If they are zoned agricultural/residential, it's not the county's fault Simmons Rockwell isn't building there.

And it is usually not easy to effect change from “the way it’s always been” in a small town. When we see heated debates over bringing a Dollar General or DandyMart to a town, we can imagine the fight a big retail project would inspire. And as a Big Flats resident in the 90's, I can tell you the debate over Walmart/Sam's Club/Tops was bitter (and played out before social media, so it would probably be 100x worse today!)

Don’t even get me started with Casella.

Aside from importing trash and rapidly taking up space that will (as KR noted) eventually run out – there is reason to believe they have disregarded and covered up the desecration of graves on that site from Indians and the Revolutionary War.

Hal    162

Yeah , after some thought on my post it really wasn’t quite in line with the topic at hand , please disregard ! 

As to Casella ... we were sold out by the County to be the trash heap for the Rotten Apple ! But I look forward to what the new Legislators and County Executive can bring to the table ...