ElmiraTelegram

Rich Lavere

ElmiraTelegram    109

"We shouldn't wait until someone is gone before we recognize what they bring to the community."

That's a thought that occurred to me the other day as I logged off the computer. 

And the first person who came to mind was Rich Lavere.

LaVere was born and raised in Michigan but is as much an Elmira as anyone born here if you ask me. There's more voices cheering on the efforts to revitalize downtown Elmira on a daily basis. But one of, if not the, the most persistent voices has been LaVere's.

2009.png

2015.png

When he made the difficult decision to close down the business, Rich didn't pick up and leave the area like many had before him. He just started something else: "Nutmeg Upcycling", located on Gray St., just around the corner from his previous location. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 3.54.17 PM.png

I think there are places where we could do better, but I am kind-of an eat-my-own-dog-food kind of person. I live in Elmira, I am a member of the Chemung County Chamber of Commerce, and I believe in the future of the city.

I am not trying to be anyone’s hero. I realize it’s a 300-square-foot shop and we are a tiny sliver of what is going on down here, but I really do want to see this city succeed and I hate to not be a part of it or not at least give it an honest effort.

( More at http://www.zifflaw.com/hidden-gem-in-downtown-elmira/ )

Rich also wrote and produced "Facing The Wall", a documentary about the city's relationship with the river that runs through it. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 3.49.27 PM.png

“Facing The Wall” is the story of Elmira, New York, and the river that runs through it. A river that helped give birth to the city, fueled its economic growth, inspired its artists and writers, and defines the city in a way no other single object or person ever could. It is a story about the city’s struggle to recover from the lingering devastation caused by a devastating flood in 1972—an event that continues to influence its development to this day. And ultimately, it is a story about the positive steps being taken to view the river as an asset, rather than a liability. Now, 40 years after unspeakable devastation, Elmira is finally…facing the wall.

For more information about "Facing The Wall", go to http://facingthewallmovie.com

Rich not only has his shop on Gray Street, but also a booth at Bostwick Antique Mall in Candor NY. Both shops have a variety of unique, up-cycled and interesting items. For more information about the shops, go to https://www.facebook.com/NutmegUpcycling/

KarenK    56

I couldn't agree more. 

He is very active on social media always ready to point to the plusses when the negativity gets out of hand.  Our politics are the polar opposite, but you could not find a bigger advocate for the city and county right now.  He isn't just words, he gets involved.

Chris    630
On 12/29/2018 at 7:32 AM, KarenK said:

Our politics are the polar opposite, but you could not find a bigger advocate for the city and county right now.  

Very true. 

I finally stopped into his shop to look around and say hi. He's definitely putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to downtown.